Optimizing Channel Section Tolerances for Pin Jointed Machine Design

In summary: The only thing I know of is ASTM A6/6M which pretty much spells out the variations allowed in shapes and plates.
Mech King
I am deisigning a pin jointed machine that uses some standard channel section. I am having difficulty getting consisitency with the channel section (type BS10279:2000 Hot Rolled Steel Channels) dimensions due to the wide nominal tolerances.

Is anyone aware of any channel/U -Section that has much tighter tolerances over the flatness, height, length, thickness, radius' etc?

I dont' want to resort to welding jigged sheet steel together to obtain the correct dimensions.

If anyone is aware of anything then i would be more then greatful,

Cheers

Mech King

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only thing I know of is ASTM A6/6M which pretty much spells out the variations allowed in shapes and plates.

Just what kind of tolerances/problems are you wanting/experiencing? Could anything be solved by so,e properly selected limited local machining processes?

Hi Fred cheers for the reply,

my main issue has been with flatness of the channel flanges - which when drilling concentric holes, has become a more time consuming process with the obvious associated costs. Also, the flange thickness varies by about +/- 1.5mm if i remeber correctly, and if both flange thicknesses are out the the clearence will be greatly increased or reduced. Just wanted to get more consistency with it because each length of channel is widely different from the other it would seem.

I will okk into what you specified and see if i can get tighter tolerances.

cheers again

Mech king

Yeah. That's pretty much the run of the mill (pardon the pun). I honestly have never seen anything better that wasn't a custom extrusion.

Does it have to be steel? There are some more expensive, but mass produced aluminum sections that would fit your needs.

The Aluminium section will be too weak for the design, its a mechancial lift, i think i may be able to get away with AL section though, if i down-rated the max weight of the lift - which wouldn;t be out ofthe question. I also wanted to keep the lift as cheap as possible, but if it means i need to spend more to get better quality then that might have to be the way forward - i gues you can't have eberything in the quality, cost and time triangle lol.

Cheers

mech King

1. Can I obtain a channel section from any store?

No, channel sections are specialized materials used in construction and engineering projects. They are not typically sold in regular stores and can only be obtained from specialized suppliers.

2. What are the common sizes available for channel sections?

The most common sizes for channel sections are C-shaped or U-shaped with standard dimensions of 3 inches, 4 inches, 6 inches, and 8 inches. However, they can also be customized to fit specific project requirements.

3. Are channel sections suitable for load-bearing structures?

Yes, channel sections are commonly used as structural support in buildings and bridges due to their high strength and rigidity. The load-bearing capacity of a channel section depends on its size and material composition.

4. How are channel sections different from other structural shapes?

Channel sections are different from other structural shapes, such as I-beams and angles, in terms of their cross-sectional shape. Channel sections have a C or U-shaped profile, while I-beams have an I-shaped profile and angles have an L-shaped profile. Each shape has different properties and is suitable for different types of structural applications.

5. Can channel sections be used for both internal and external structures?

Yes, channel sections can be used for both internal and external structures, depending on the project requirements. They are commonly used in building frames, support beams, and structural columns for both indoor and outdoor applications.