Help needed with replacement of burnt out transistor

• Thread starter hornet1blue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary: I need to buy a job lot of resistors from ebay and would like some rough idea before seeing if they can cope!?In summary, a resistor is needed to replace the burnt out one in a hair clipper. The batteries are Ni-Cd and the old ones were 300Mah while the new ones are Ni-Cd Uniross. The resistor should be (V[charger] - V[battery]) / .060 which would require a value of R around double the value of the old resistors.
hornet1blue
does anyone happen to know what resistor i would need for
a pair of 850Mah rechargeable batteries as the one in
my hair clipper burnt out when i replaced the old
rechargeables which were 300Mah cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Clarification, please. Your title mentions a transistor, but your OP asks for a resistor; which is it? Also, are these batteries NiMH or NiCd and did you replace the old ones with new ones of the same type? The two are NOT interchangeable because the charging requirements are different.

whoops sorry title should be resisitor. The batteries are Ni-Cd Uniross the old ones are Sanyo Nikel Cadmium 600Mah not 300 as I thought before. (same as Ni-Cd i think!?)

Tough to say. It sounds as though the new batteries have a lower internal resistance than the old ones. Unfortunately your clippers have cheap charging circuitry which uses an unregulated voltage source with a series resistor to produce a current source for the charging the batteries. Typical slow charge currents for charging NiCds are generally designed to met C/10 levels ( C being the rated capacity). For 600 mAH cells, you therefore want to aim for 600/10 or 60 mA charging current. You may need to experiment a bit to determine the optimum resistor value (don't forget about power rating!) but a safe place to start would be about double the value of the old resistors.

im rather new at recognising resistor types especially the burnt out one, I really need to know what resistor i should replace with. I am buying a job lot of resistors from ebay but would like some rough idea before seeing if they can cope!?

Can you make out any of the color bands on it? If not, you need to know what voltage the charging circuit is applying to it and whether the batteries are being charged in series or parallel. A safe assumption is to consider the battery as having zero internal resistance and the resistor will therefore need to be (V[charger] - V[battery]) / .060. This will necessarily result in a high value for R, but you can adjust it down from there. Remember, once you have your value for R, you need to plug it into the power equation ( P = I^2 * R) to determine how much power it will be dissipating so you can size it properly.

NB: Note that without knowing the precise characteristics of the charger there is some risk of further damage here, so you have to decide if it's worth it or not.

the charger puts out 5-6V Max 5watts input is 100-240V 50-60Hz 0.2amps. Without any real reference I think the batteries are being charged parallel as they are identically connected at both the positive and negative ends

What is a transistor and how does it work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that can amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of material - P-type, N-type, and P-type - which creates two PN junctions. By applying a small current to the base, the transistor allows a larger current to flow through the collector and emitter, effectively amplifying the signal.

How do I know if a transistor is burnt out?

A burnt out transistor will typically have visible damage, such as discoloration or a melted appearance. You can also use a multimeter to test the transistor for continuity and measure the voltage across its terminals. If there is no continuity or the voltage reading is extremely low, the transistor is likely burnt out.

What tools do I need to replace a burnt out transistor?

You will need a soldering iron, desoldering braid or pump, replacement transistor, and possibly a soldering iron stand. It is also helpful to have a schematic diagram of the circuit or the part number of the transistor to ensure you are using the correct replacement.

Can I replace a burnt out transistor myself?

Replacing a burnt out transistor requires some knowledge of electronics and soldering skills. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is best to seek the help of a professional. However, if you have experience with electronics and follow proper safety precautions, it is possible to replace a burnt out transistor yourself.

Are there any precautions I should take when replacing a burnt out transistor?

When handling electronic components, it is important to wear an anti-static wrist strap to avoid damaging the components with static electricity. It is also important to follow the correct polarity when soldering the replacement transistor and to ensure all connections are secure before powering on the circuit.