Thermal Conductivity Graph in Comsol

In summary: I hope that makes sense.In summary, Mike was trying to interpolate data points to fit a curve but couldn't do it using the Matlab curve fitting toolbox. He found a way to interpolate by going to Options - > Functions - > New -> Interpolation -> Data from: file.
mherna48
Hi Everyone,

I have a thousand data points that create a graph of Copper's Thermal Conductivity as it changes from a temperature of 4.5 K to 300K. These points create a somewhat bell-shaped curve, and I have been trying to find the equation to this curve so I can integrate it. I have previously tried to solve it by hand but I got the feeling I was going about this whole thing all wrong.

In the end, I would like to model this piece of copper undergoing a change in temperature of 295.5 K. Normally, it would be easy to do this using Comsol, but the change in conductivity is not linear due to the extreme temperature change.

My question is: Is there any way to upload, or import, the data points into Comsol? I'd like to have it find the equation or find the area under the curve So I can model this piece of copper.

Appreciate the time,
Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you just need the appropriate curve fitting method for your data points. The easiest thing to do would be to just import those data points into Matlab and do a curve fit using the curve fitting toolbox. Then you can just use your fitted equation for the curve in Comsol.

I agree, MATLAB rules for this kind of thing. you can import your data points all at once as well. just copy the spreadsheet values and place ur hard brackets, and ull have a monster matrix in no time.

Hi,

Thanks for the help! I guess I don't have access to the toolbox needed for the graph. However, I was able to interpolate the data by going to Options - > Functions - > New -> Interpolation -> Data from: file.

Then I could just type in Function_Name(T) in any edit field.

1. What is thermal conductivity in Comsol?

Thermal conductivity in Comsol refers to the ability of a material to conduct heat. It is a property that describes how easily heat can pass through a material.

2. How is thermal conductivity calculated in Comsol?

Thermal conductivity in Comsol is calculated using the Fourier's law of heat conduction, which takes into account the material properties, temperature gradient, and boundary conditions.

3. What is the significance of a thermal conductivity graph in Comsol?

A thermal conductivity graph in Comsol provides a visual representation of how heat is transferred through a material. It can help in understanding the behavior of the material and identifying any areas of high or low thermal conductivity.

4. Can the thermal conductivity graph in Comsol be used for different materials?

Yes, the thermal conductivity graph in Comsol can be used for different materials. However, the material properties and boundary conditions need to be properly defined in order to obtain accurate results.

5. How can I optimize the thermal conductivity of my material using the graph in Comsol?

The thermal conductivity graph in Comsol can help in identifying areas of low thermal conductivity and potential heat transfer bottlenecks. By making changes to the material properties or boundary conditions, you can optimize the thermal conductivity of your material and improve its heat transfer capabilities.