Play around with their computer's port ?

• Thread starter TenNen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the various types and applications of computer ports, specifically the parallel port. The parallel port is described as an eight-bit bi-directional digital bus used for data transfer, often used for connecting printers. The conversation also mentions using the parallel port for networking and suggests using Google for more information.
TenNen
Can you tell me what applications people can make to play around with their computer's port ? or is it just a dead one waiting for some connections to the objects outside ?
Thank you very much.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Anyone can give any ideas?

You're not making any sense. What port? There are parallel, serial, USB, ethernet, virtual, etc.

Perhaps his computer came with a bottle of Portugese fortified wine, also known as port. I would suggest drinking it or, if the situation arises, hitting a burgler with it.

Njorl

russ_watters said:
You're not making any sense. What port? There are parallel, serial, USB, ethernet, virtual, etc.
Would you please tell me about parralel one's aplication ? Anything funnie for me to play around with it ? Please tell me...

Thanks Russ a lot in advance

The parallel port is just an eight bit wide bi-directional TTL level digital bus. You can read or write any digital data with it.

- Warren

But Can you give me some more details about how to write and read data and how to connect cables etc from/to the port to/from which device? Any applications you have done or have heard of ?

Thanks

Seems like twenty seconds with google will give you all the info you could want. Try this one:

http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

- Warren

The parallel port is just an eight bit wide bi-directional TTL level digital bus.
Duh. :wink:

Seriously though, we're all here to ask and answer questions, but when there are hundreds upon hundreds of websites with this information that you can access with a simple google search and you still ask us we get a little cranky.

In a nutshell:

Its the rather large port on the back of your PC. Nowadays it is mostly used to connect a printer to your computer. It is possible to network two PCs via parallel ports, but that is not very fast. In general, USB and PS/2 have mostly replaced parallel ports in day-to-day usage.

Moe said:
In a nutshell:

Its the rather large port on the back of your PC. Nowadays it is mostly used to connect a printer to your computer. It is possible to network two PCs via parallel ports, but that is not very fast. In general, USB and PS/2 have mostly replaced parallel ports in day-to-day usage.
Thanks,...

1. What is a computer port?

A computer port is a connection point on a computer that allows devices, such as a keyboard, mouse, or printer, to be connected and communicate with the computer.

2. How can I play around with my computer's port?

You can play around with your computer's port by connecting different devices to it and testing their functionality. You can also use specialized software to monitor and manipulate the data that is transmitted through the port.

3. Why would I want to play around with my computer's port?

Playing around with your computer's port can help you understand how different devices communicate with your computer and how data is transferred between them. It can also help you troubleshoot any issues you may be having with a particular device or port.

4. Is it safe to play around with my computer's port?

As long as you are using proper precautions, such as using reputable software and not connecting any potentially harmful devices, it is generally safe to play around with your computer's port. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable, it is always best to consult a professional.

5. Are there any risks involved in playing around with my computer's port?

There are some risks involved in playing around with your computer's port, such as accidentally damaging the port or connected devices, or potentially exposing your computer to malware. It is important to proceed with caution and have a backup plan in case any issues arise.