DC motor start-up surge is tripping the battery protection circuit - help

In summary, the person has a problem with their lithium battery circuit, which keeps shutting off the battery power. They have tried many solutions, but they are all failing. One suggestion is to add an NTC thermistor to the circuit, which will start off with a high resistance and as it draws load, it will heat up, reducing the resistance.
-soapy-
Hi all,

I've got a problem which is so daft it hurts.

I'm using lithium batteries, and I'm well aware of the dangers, so despite being fine with working on an un-protected cell, I changed to protected ones, and then issues appeared. The current is drawn from a pair of parallel 18650's, good for about 6A continuous.

So, my circuit is incredibly simple - a DC motor, a switch and a battery. But because of the battery protection circuit, and the start-up current surge of the motor under the load, it simply shuts the battery power off. It does this shut-down in 12ms, which I've worked out after buying an expensive digital 'scope, and it stays off until you take away the "short circuit".

Sometimes it fires up, sometimes not. If I add a DVM to the circuit to measure the current, it also works perfectly. I think this is due to the resistance of the leads. If I add a power resistor it simply cooks that, and doesn't turn the motor. I've tried a 1mF cap to smooth it, but that gives another issue, in that if you manage to press the switch "just so" it dies and stays dead, as the cap keeps the battery protection on!

What I need is some (possibly mythical) part that will sit in the circuit and be a small resistor (an ohm) for a fraction of a second, then become a bit of wire (milli-ohms) until the switch is let go. Oh, and just to make it even harder, there is only a 10mm diameter by 35mm long space to fit anything inside the case!

I know this can be done, I know the current draw is safe, I know that it sometimes helps if I tweak the lengths of the leads a bit (though I don't understand quite how or why, it might be inductance or it might be resistance) - so please, if anyone knows what I should be looking at adding, please let me know!

I can post as much detail as you like, if you need any more. I've trawled Google, asked friends who might know, tried endless fiddling. It's killing me!

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've had a read up on them, it's rather interesting, they use a crystal of an exotic material that drops it's resistance with increasing temperature. That temperature is caused by the current through the device.

Very clever. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get some ordered in the morning.

1. What is a DC motor start-up surge?

A DC motor start-up surge is a temporary increase in current or voltage that occurs when a DC motor is turned on. This surge is caused by the initial resistance and inertia of the motor and can be up to 10 times the normal operating current.

2. Why does the start-up surge trip the battery protection circuit?

The start-up surge can trip the battery protection circuit if it exceeds the maximum current or voltage rating of the circuit. This circuit is designed to protect the battery from damage due to excessive current or voltage, and it may be triggered by the sudden surge during motor start-up.

3. How can I prevent the start-up surge from tripping the battery protection circuit?

One way to prevent the start-up surge from tripping the battery protection circuit is to use a motor starter or soft starter. These devices gradually increase the voltage and current to the motor, reducing the initial surge. Another option is to use a larger battery protection circuit with a higher current or voltage rating.

4. Can the start-up surge damage the battery?

If the start-up surge is higher than the battery's maximum current or voltage rating, it can damage the battery. However, most modern batteries have built-in protection circuits to prevent damage from excessive current or voltage. It is still important to properly size and protect the battery to ensure its longevity.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to the start-up surge tripping the battery protection circuit?

Yes, other factors such as the condition of the motor, the type of load being driven, and the wiring and connections can also affect the start-up surge and potentially trip the battery protection circuit. It is important to properly maintain and inspect all components involved in the motor start-up process to ensure efficient and safe operation.