How Do You Calculate Torque for a Swing Gate with Dual Hinges?

• Thread starter pramura
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the person asking for help needs to calculate the pulling torque required to rotate a swing gate hinged at two points, with a weight of 130kg and dimensions of 5ft by 5ft. They also need to determine the suitable motor for this application. To calculate the torque, they will need to calculate the moment of inertia and angular acceleration, and they can find more information on these terms on Wikipedia. The person helping suggests using a high coefficient of friction to account for rusty hinges and provides a formula for calculating the frictional moment. They also suggest calculating the constant acceleration from 0 to 90 degrees, and then using this to determine the final angular velocity. A damper or spring may be necessary to handle the
pramura
Hello everyone!

I need a help from your side. I need the calculation for pulling torque needed to rotate a swing gate hinged at two points.Weight of the gate is 130kg, width 5ft(1.524m) and height is also 5ft. Upper hinge is 0.381m from top and lower hinge is 0.381m from bottom.
Do i need to include the total weight of the gate for this torque calculation, because the gate is supported by two hinges.

what is the suitable motor for this application?

Thanks in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
pramura said:
Hello everyone!

I need a help from your side. I need the calculation for pulling torque needed to rotate a swing gate hinged at two points.Weight of the gate is 130kg, width 5ft(1.524m) and height is also 5ft. Upper hinge is 0.381m from top and lower hinge is 0.381m from bottom.
Do i need to include the total weight of the gate for this torque calculation, because the gate is supported by two hinges.

what is the suitable motor for this application?

Thanks in advance,

You will need to calculate the Moment of Inertia for the gate about the axis of rotation, and you will need to specify how quickly the gate should be accelerated in the move. Those numbers will lead you to the torque. Are you familiar with those terms? If not, www.wikipedia.org has reasonable introductions...

Thanks for your reply berkeman. Yes, for torque calculation we need moment of inertia and angular acceleration.I need to open the gate from 0 to 90 degrees in 15 secs. I calculated moment of inertia but for acceleration if I use constant speed motor to open the gate how can i calculate angular acceleration. I converted degrees into radians and i got 0.1047176 rad/s2. Is that correct.

Perhaps assume constant acceleration, alpha1, from 0 to theta1 radians. Then, using kinematics, compute final angular velocity, omega1, at theta1. Using statics, compute the frictional moment M, assuming a high mu value (rusty hinges). Motor torque T to overcome the total moment would be T = M + I*alpha. Perhaps turn off the motor at theta1 radians. Now T in the above equation becomes zero; therefore, solve for alpha2 to obtain the constant deceleration from theta1 to 90 deg. The initial angular velocity from theta1 radians to 90 deg is omega1. Using kinematics, compute the final (latching) angular velocity, omega2, at 90 deg. Using kinematics again, you can now compute the total swing time. Play around with this until you get what you consider to be an acceptable minimum (and maximum) latching angular velocity, and a total swing time of 15 s. You might want a damper or spring to handle the latching impact, to avoid damaging the structure (?). Maybe someone can let us know if the above approach sounds valid or incorrect.

pramura: Here is the key to solving the approach described in post 4. If you put all the above information together, it happens that T and t1 have a unique solution, as follows. (The motor is turned on at theta0 = 0 rad, when omega0 = 0 rad/s, which occurs at t0 = 0 s.)

t1 = (M*tt^2 + 2*I*omega2*tt - 2*I*thetat)/(M*tt + I*omega2),
T = (M*tt + I*omega2)/t1,

where T = motor torque (N*m),
t1 = time at which motor is turned off (s),
tt = gate total swing time (s),
thetat = gate total swing angle (rad),
M = frictional moment (N*m),
I = gate mass moment of inertia about hinge axis (kg*m^2),
omega2 = gate final (latching) angular velocity (rad/s).

After you compute T and t1, you can compute any other quantity, such as the following, using kinematics or kinetics.

alpha1 = gate constant angular acceleration while motor is running (rad/s^2),
alpha2 = gate constant angular acceleration while motor is not running (rad/s^2),
theta1 = swing angle at instant motor is turned off (rad),
theta2 = swing angle after motor is turned off (rad) = thetat - theta1,
t2 = gate swing time after motor is turned off (s) = tt - t1,
omega1 = gate angular velocity at theta1 (rad/s).

You can develop your own frictional moment M, but I arbitrarily used M = 2[0.5*Dp*muk*H + 0.5(1.25*Dp)*muk*V], where Dp = hinge pin diameter (m), muk = hinge kinetic coefficient of friction, H = horizontal reaction force applied to each hinge (N) = (m1*g)*0.5*(1.524 m)/(0.762 m), V = vertical reaction force applied to each hinge (N) = 0.5*m1*g, and m1 = gate mass (kg). Parameters omega2 and muk are fundamental input parameters you must specify to define your design.

It is interesting to see what happens to T as you decrease muk. Hint: To compute alpha1 and alpha2, see post 4.

1. What is torque and why is it important in calculations?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is important in calculations because it helps determine the amount of force needed to rotate an object, and is crucial in understanding the stability and movement of machines and structures.

2. How do I calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is T = F x D, where T is torque, F is force, and D is distance.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). However, other units such as pound-feet (lb-ft) and kilogram-meters (kg-m) may also be used.

4. How does torque affect the stability of a structure or machine?

The greater the torque, the more force is applied to an object, and the more likely it is to rotate. Therefore, torque can greatly impact the stability and movement of structures and machines, and must be carefully considered in their design and operation.

5. Can you provide an example of torque calculation in real-life applications?

One example of torque calculation in real-life applications is in the design of car engines. The torque produced by the engine is a key factor in determining its power and acceleration capabilities. Engineers must carefully calculate and optimize the torque of an engine to ensure optimal performance and efficiency.