CBS: Wit and wisdom like you won't believe (headline pun?)

• Thread starter Office_Shredder
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the controversial appearance of Libyan leader Qaddafi at the United Nations and the reactions and opinions of some individuals towards it. Some find the situation humorous, while others criticize it and argue that the media should not make light of serious issues such as terrorism.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/23/world/main5331950.shtml?tag=stack

For those who don't know, Qaddafi is the Libyan leader who brought much international outcrying against himself for allowing the Pan-Am bomber the Scottish released to be welcomed back with a big party. With that said, let's check out the headline

Qaddafi Hijacks Spotlight at U.N.

Seriously guys? Have we truly fallen so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its cute. We take our selves too seriously sometimes.

http://awearnessblog.com/20090825_qadaffi_250x250.jpg

Every time I see this guy I think 80s rock star that's snorted wayyyy too much cocaine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Office_Shredder said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/23/world/main5331950.shtml?tag=stack

For those who don't know, Qaddafi is the Libyan leader who brought much international outcrying against himself for allowing the Pan-Am bomber the Scottish released to be welcomed back with a big party. With that said, let's check out the headline

Seriously guys? Have we truly fallen so far?

lol @ terrorism council.

I haven't thought of it that way before Cyrus, but now that you mention it I'm sure I'll notice it every time.

Statutory, what bothers me about the headline is that it's one step away from something like:

Courtroom explodes at suicide bomber's testimony

Or some other similar pun whose only humor value lies in the fact that it's pointing out that a person did a terrible, terrible thing. While I don't instantly condemn those kinds of jokes, and probably make them myself once in a while, I think the media should hold itself to a higher standard of humor than making jokes about how someone was killed

1. What is "CBS: Wit and wisdom like you won't believe"?

"CBS: Wit and wisdom like you won't believe" is a headline pun that refers to the television network CBS and their programming, which is known for being clever, humorous, and insightful.

2. Why is the headline using wordplay?

The headline is using wordplay to grab the reader's attention and make them curious about the content of the article. It also adds a playful and clever tone to the headline, which is in line with the wit and humor associated with CBS programming.

3. Will this article only be about CBS shows?

No, the article may feature quotes or jokes from CBS shows, but it could also include interviews with CBS actors or writers, discussions about the network's comedic style, or analysis of the impact of CBS comedy on popular culture.

4. Is this article intended to be serious or funny?

The article can be both serious and funny, as it may discuss the impact and significance of CBS comedy while also including humorous quotes and jokes from CBS programming. It will likely have a lighthearted and entertaining tone overall.

5. Can you provide an example of a headline pun?

One example of a headline pun could be "Netflix and thrill: A guide to the best horror movies on streaming". This plays on the popular phrase "Netflix and chill" while also incorporating the genre of horror to create a catchy and clever headline.

Back