A Basic Function Problem with a Limit

In summary: No. The h is going to zero. You don't know what f is or what it's derivative is so you have to work with the h that's in the limit.Okay, I have an example in my book that I'm studying right now.For example, if f(x) = x^2, then f ' (x) = 2x.This is the formula I'm supposed to use.\stackrel{Lim}{h\rightarrow0}\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}So based on this example, I have:f ' (x) = \stackrel{Lim}{h\rightarrow0}\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} =
DMOC said:
[tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(h)}{h} + \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{2xh}{h}[/tex]

The second part would just cancel out since it's a straight up 2xh/h problem wher ethe h's cancel. 2x remains.

f ' (x) = 7 + 2x

Just wondering, but how did you replace f(x) with 2xh?

Thanks for helping man ... are you a teacher?

But there's just one more thing I'm confused about after this problem.

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/tex] is the formula for derivatives as h approaches zero.

However, we eventually ended up with what you see in the quotes.

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(h)}{h} + \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{2xh}{h}[/tex]

I had to substitute h in for y but you said that I wasn't supposed to do it, but that's how we got there ... thanks again for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, we started with the definition of a derivative. used the fact that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) + 2xy to rewrite the top part of the derivative which is f(x + h) - f(x) as f(x) + f(h) + 2xh - f(x) = f(h) + 2xh.

You should be able to take it from there. Read through the thread again if you need to.

Got it.

I was wondering why you seemed to have a weird "y" before I realized it was actually a strikethrough. ;)

Oh my bad man! And here I thought I was being slick! I'll keep that in mind in the future. Sorry for any confusion it may have caused.

No worries, got it now. :)