Find Energy stored in System of capacitors

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total capacitance and total energy stored in a system of capacitors connected in both parallel and series. The first question asks for the total capacitance, which is found by adding the individual capacitances. The second question asks for the total energy stored, which can be calculated using the equation U = (1/2)CV^2, with the values of capacitance and emf voltage given. The resulting answer is confirmed to be correct, and any further clarification or help is welcomed.
silkyjohnson

Homework Statement

I have a system of capacitors set up in a combination of parallel and series connections. The first question(part a) asks me to find the total capacitance of the combination. The second question(part b) asks me to find the total energy stored in the system of capacitors.

They give me all the capacitances of each capacitor in the combination as well as the emf voltage.

So I got part A, no problem.

I think I did part B right but I just want to make sure I'm not oversimplifying things.

Homework Equations

Basically to find the total energy stored in the system, I used the equation U = (1/2)CV^2. I plugged in the value I found for part A into C, and used the given emf voltage.

(from part A) C = .75uF
(given emf) V = 1V

The Attempt at a Solution

So plugging those values into the equation, I got U = .375 uJ as my answer.

Now I am just wondering, is that all I do? At first I thought that maybe I had to figure out the energy stored for every capacitor individually, then add it all up... but after a while it just occurred to me to use the above equation for U.

I feel that I am correct, but I'm just hoping I can get some confirmation, or some help if I am wrong?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi silkyjojnson, welcome to PF.
Your answer is correct.

Your approach is correct. To find the total energy stored in a system of capacitors, you can use the equation U = (1/2)CV^2, where C is the total capacitance of the system and V is the voltage across the system. In this case, you correctly used the value for C that you found in part A and the given emf voltage to find the total energy stored in the system. There is no need to calculate the energy stored in each individual capacitor and then add them up, as long as you have the total capacitance and voltage for the entire system. Therefore, your answer of U = .375 uJ is correct.

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy stored in a system of capacitors?

The formula for calculating the energy stored in a system of capacitors is E = 1/2 CV2, where C is the total capacitance of the system and V is the potential difference across the capacitors.

2. How do you determine the total capacitance of a system of capacitors?

The total capacitance of a system of capacitors is determined by adding the individual capacitance values of each capacitor in series or by using the parallel capacitance formula of Ctotal = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn.

3. Can the energy stored in a system of capacitors be negative?

No, the energy stored in a system of capacitors cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the amount of electrical energy stored in the system.

4. How does the energy stored in a system of capacitors change when the capacitance is increased?

When the capacitance in a system of capacitors is increased, the energy stored also increases. This is because the formula for energy stored is directly proportional to the capacitance value.

5. What factors can affect the energy stored in a system of capacitors?

The energy stored in a system of capacitors can be affected by various factors, including the capacitance values, the potential difference across the capacitors, and the dielectric material used in the capacitors. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.