Understanding Grounded Electricity

• Thread starter FinalAvenger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: Grounded electricity conversation, it was discussed that grounding is an important safety measure. It protects people from electric shock by providing a path for current to flow to the ground instead of through someone's body. The ground wire is connected to the metal casing of appliances and electronics, so if there is a loose wire inside, the current will flow to the ground instead of through the casing. However, ground wires are not perfect and can still have voltage, which can cause shocks in some cases. The concept of grounding is also important in circuits, as the different grounds are considered shorted to each other. Grounding can also help with minimizing interference in circuits.
chroot said:
Averagesupernova,

What do you mean by "component?" Your argument is precisely the reason the two grounds would be isolated with an inductor or other network. The two grounds may in fact be somewhat different. While you want the two grounds to remain at nearly the same potential, you want your current to flow through only one.

- Warren

Last I checked an inductor has a relatively low resistance to DC. But NOT likely low enough to pass the kind of current I am referring to without being destroyed. As for a blocking capacitor as part of the network? Obviously megashawns system is able to pass DC through the antenna lead shield or it wouldn't run at all. I've been in the automotive electronics biz and I've seen this sort of thing happen alot. When it comes to connecting grounds that go to several different places you either design the connection so it can carry the type of current I am referring to or you will have lots of defective products due to a failure elsewhere on the vehicle. Most likely megashawn is referring to an aftermarket product and we all know what sort of people CAN end up installing an aftermarket car stereo.

Engineering news on Phys.org
so what sort of person are you calling me? The stereo itself is aftermarket, the antennas are generally factory installed.

I take back my earlier apology. I regret having ever clicked on this topic.

No no no megashawn. I am NOT calling you the type of person that you are thinking of. But we all know a lot of car stereos are installed by people that shouldn't be doing it. If the gear is to stand up it needs to be built to take abuse. We all know that there are morons in every aspect of life. Car audio is no exception. However, it doesn't mean that it is exclusively made up of morons.