Turn Off Vocals in Songs | Winamp Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, in order to shut down vocals in songs, you can use a plugin such as AnalogX Vocal Remover if you are using WinAmp 2.0 or above. This plugin requires a stereo stream and allows you to adjust the amount of the effect. Alternatively, if you are not using a computer, you can run the stereo lines into a differential amplifier to cancel out the vocals. However, this method may not be completely effective and may still leave some traces of vocals. It is also possible to use a high pass filter to block out the low and midrange frequencies and only hear the vocals
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
how can you shut down the vocals in songs?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmmm, maybe there is a plugin for winamp, but I've never heard of anything that does what you want.

I think pretty much the only way to do that is to obtain a studio cut of the song, before they have merged the vocal and instrument tracks. Once they are merged, I don't know what you would use to separate them.

I don't know that you can, but perhaps with a good EQ plugin you could drown it out a good bit. You usually lose some part of the music as well though.

Lemme know if you figure anything out, I've been wanting to do that for years.

Like was mentioned, usually once there mixed, there stuck.

In order to use this plugin, you must have WinAmp 2.0 or greater installed. It
also requires a stereo stream to work properly, and the higher the bitrate the
better. To enable it, just go into the Preferences (CTRL-P), and select
'AnalogX Vocal Remover' from the list; a slider will appear on the screen that
will allow you to adjust the amount of the effect (0% = normal; 100% = totally
processed).

The most common problem people have when installing the program is putting it
in the wrong directory. If it doesn't show up in the WinAmp program, simply
search your system for the file 'dsp_vr.dll' and copy it into the
WinAmp/Plugins directory.

this is from the readme file. I think I might have a standalone version on my home computer. I haven't actually used it.

Raavin

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
how can you shut down the vocals in songs?
If you are not using a computer to do all of this, you can accomplish the task by running the stereo lines into a differential amplifier and making use of the monophonic output. The inverting and noninverting inputs of an operational amplifier, on which this type of circuitry is generally constructed, give you the desired phase shifting where the center stage (the 'place' where vocals usually are located on a recording, but not always) is canceled out as common mode noise. The success is largely dependant upon the nature of the stereo signal it is being fed, and you will often hear at least a trace of vocals, though about 60dB of attenuation is possible. Because the output often has high levels of ambience signals, if you amplify it and drive a couple of speakers placed at the back of the room you can create a sort of ‘poor-mans’ quadraphonic system.
If you like to build kits I might be persuaded to whip you up a schematic…

try to get the instrumentals for the song u want

1. How do I turn off vocals in songs using Winamp?

To turn off vocals in songs using Winamp, go to the "Effects" menu and select "Karaoke." Then, adjust the "Vocal Reducer" slider to your desired level. This will remove or reduce the vocals in the song.

2. Can I turn off vocals in all songs automatically?

Yes, you can turn off vocals in all songs automatically by going to the "Preferences" menu and selecting "DSP/Effect." Then, check the box next to "Karaoke" and adjust the "Vocal Reducer" slider to your desired level. This will apply the effect to all songs played in Winamp.

3. Can I still hear background music when using the vocal reducer?

Yes, the vocal reducer in Winamp allows you to control the amount of vocals in a song, while still maintaining the background music. This allows for a more balanced sound without completely muting the vocals.

4. Will turning off vocals affect the overall quality of the song?

Turning off vocals in a song can slightly affect the overall quality, as it is a digital manipulation of the original recording. However, the effect is usually minimal and not noticeable to most listeners.

5. Can I save my settings for turning off vocals in songs?

Yes, you can save your settings for turning off vocals in songs by going to the "Effects" menu and selecting "Karaoke." Then, click on the "Save" button and give your preset a name. This way, you can easily apply your preferred vocal reduction settings to any song in Winamp.