Maintaining constant Potential Energy

In summary, an upthrust is required to counteract gravity.Helicopters do that by forcing air, but air being a fluid constantly moves and is replaced so constant power is delivered. Work is defined as force times distance, W = fd, so NO work is done. Energy and power, via the consumption of fuel, IS expended.
cool0crash
Hi all,

While thinking about potential energy and force, I couldn't figure out how to maintain an object at a constant height above the ground i.e to maintain a constant potential energy.

I know that potential energy will be equal to the amount of workdone to lift the object to a particular height (considering gravity) but W = F x displacement. But to maintain an object at a constant potential energy (height), displacement = 0 & hence no work or energy is required.
If that is right, why does helicopters expend energy (fuel), to stay at a particular height?Also consider an object on ground, what is the exact action taking place if the same magnitude of force as that of gravity is applied in the upward direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cool0crash said:
. But to maintain an object at a constant potential energy (height), displacement = 0 & hence no work or energy is required.
An upthrust is required to counteract gravity.Helicopters do that by forcing air, but air being a fluid constantly moves and is replaced so constant power is to be delivered

Work is defined as force times distance, W = fd, so NO work is done. Energy and power, via the consumption of fuel, IS expended.

When you stand still, or sit, for example, no work is done to the extent you are not undergoing translation (no movement). But you are burning calories,energy, just to maintain body functions and stay alive. Of course some movement IS taking place inside you as blood circulates, your lungs expand and contract, and your heart beats...

I think it is not good to mix up the energy and the force.. say that you are lifting a stone against the gravity.. then as you and I have heard we can use E=Fx to find the energy.. but here it has assumed that the lifting process has done in uniform velocity.. that is why E=Fx and not E=Fx + 1/2 m*v*v ,(here the v is the final velocity which the stone takes), anyway what I am pointing out is you are lifting the stone against the gravity and using the same force as the weight of the stone.. that same force is applied by your hand.. so the two fores are equal and ni resultant force.. so the uniform velocity assumption is there (here the motionless situation can't be assumed , because the stone is moving). anyway mg=F, F is the force by your hand, then E=Fx , which gives the energy you wasted (give) for the lifting and stored in the stone..
E=Fx=mg*x, then you will have the known equation 'E=mgh'... this only gives which amount of energy that stone stored.. let's come to your point... say that you
took your hand away, what happens now.. the stone will face to the force field by the Earth's (gravitational force).. if there is no a hand to give an equal reaction as the weight
(or reaction by the wings of helicopter), the stone will fell (accelerate) to the down and it will be a free fall.. which convert its potential energy to the kinetic energy.. and in your case the helicopter spend fuel to provide that equal force, .. not like the hand which keeps the stone in stable situation(when the stone is in the final place).. helicopter have to do a work(against the air) for rotating the wings.. that is why it has to spend fuel...I think that this will be a support for your problem...

1. How do you maintain constant potential energy?

To maintain constant potential energy, one must ensure that the force acting on the object is equal to the negative gradient of the potential energy function. This means that as the object moves, the force must change in the opposite direction to the object's displacement, keeping the potential energy constant.

2. What are some examples of systems with constant potential energy?

Systems with constant potential energy include objects at rest on a surface, pendulums at the bottom of their swing, and charged particles at rest in an electric field.

3. How does changing the height affect potential energy?

Changing the height of an object in a gravitational field affects its potential energy. The higher the object is, the greater its potential energy, and vice versa. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the distance between the object and the center of the Earth.

4. Can potential energy ever be completely constant?

In theory, potential energy can be constant if the force acting on the object is always equal to the negative gradient of the potential energy function. However, in real-world systems, there are always external factors that can cause changes in potential energy, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How does potential energy relate to kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that can be converted into each other. When an object has high potential energy, it has the potential to do work and move. As it moves and its potential energy decreases, its kinetic energy increases. The total energy of the system remains constant.