Activating Zinc Sulfide for Glowing

• Thread starter wil3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zinc
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of activating Zinc Sulfide crystals to make them glow in the dark. The individual is seeking advice on how to prepare the crystals with copper impurities, and whether adding Cu ions to the solution before precipitation would help in creating the activated crystals. They also mention using an electrolysis with a copper anode as a potential method.
wil3
Hello. I am trying to activate crystals of Zinc Sulfide in order to get the crystal to glow in the dark. I do not need a long-term or powerful glow, I am merely investigating whether it is possible.

How can I prepare Zinc Sulfide crystals that have copper impurities as part of the crystal structure? See the Wikipedia article below for a description of why this is necessary for a glow. I have made Zinc sulfide through the combustion method, but I was considering instead trying the precipitation method. If I were to add Cu ions to the solution before precipitation, would this allow me to create the activated Zinc Sulfide Crystals?

This is an area of chemistry I know nothing about, so I really do appreciate any advice. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_sulfide

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know much about the subject, but you could try an electrolysis using a copper anode. That would put some of the ions necessary into the solution. (Theoretically anyway) Good luck with it! (are you detecting alphas?? :P )

What is the process of activating zinc sulfide for glowing?

The process of activating zinc sulfide for glowing involves exposing the compound to a strong light source, such as a blacklight or UV light. This excites the electrons within the zinc sulfide particles, causing them to emit light in the visible spectrum.

What is the purpose of activating zinc sulfide for glowing?

The purpose of activating zinc sulfide for glowing is to create a luminescent or fluorescent effect. This is often used in products such as glow-in-the-dark paint, toys, and safety signs.

What are some common applications of activated zinc sulfide for glowing?

Some common applications of activated zinc sulfide for glowing include glow-in-the-dark paint for arts and crafts, glow sticks for entertainment, and safety signs for emergency situations.

Is activated zinc sulfide safe for use?

Yes, activated zinc sulfide is generally considered safe for use. However, as with any chemical, it is important to follow safety precautions and use proper protective gear when handling the compound in its activated form.

Can activated zinc sulfide be deactivated or reversed?

Yes, activated zinc sulfide can be deactivated or reversed by removing the source of excitation, such as turning off the light source. This will cause the compound to stop emitting light and return to its non-activated state.