Solving the Lie Bracket Question in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the canonical commutator relation in quantum mechanics and how it relates to the creation and annihilation operators. It is shown that taking the adjoint of the commutator equation results in a negative unity, which may seem peculiar since it is thought that the identity operator is hermitian. However, this is not the case due to the properties of transposing operators.
Marin
Hi!

I was doing an assignment in quantum mechanics and came upon the following fact I cannot explain to me.

I hope someone of you can and will be willing to :)

Consider the creation and annihilation operators: a^+ and a and also the momentum and position operators p and x:

[tex]x=\frac{1}{\sqrt 2 c}(a+a^{\dagger})[/tex]
[tex]p=\frac{\hbar c}{\sqrt 2 i}(a-a^{\dagger})[/tex]
[tex]a=\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(cx+\frac{i}{c\hbar}p)[/tex]
[tex]a^{\dagger}=\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(cx-\frac{i}{c\hbar}p)[/tex]

[tex]c=\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}}[/tex]

and the canonical commucator relation: [tex][x,p]=i\hbar 1[/tex], where 1 is the identity operator

It follows immediately from the canonical commutator relation between x and p that

[tex][a,a^{\dagger}]=1}[/tex]
Now, observe what happens when I take the adjoint of this equation:

[tex]([a,a^{\dagger}])^{\dagger}=(aa^{\dagger}-a^{\dagger}a)^{\dagger}=a^{\dagger}a-aa^{\dagger}=-[a,a^{\dagger}]=-1[/tex]

which is peculiar since I thought that the Identity is hermitian: [tex]1^{\dagger}=1[/tex], which apperantly doesn't hold here..

Can anyone tell me why this is so?

thanks in advance,

marin

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found your mistake here
Marin said:
[tex]([a,a^{\dagger}])^{\dagger}=(aa^{\dagger}-a^{\dagger}a)^{\dagger}=a^{\dagger}a-aa^{\dagger}=-[a,a^{\dagger}]=-1[/tex]
marin

Hi Martin,

Using the fact that transposing the product of two operator swaps them and gives the product of their transposes

[tex] (A B)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger [/tex]

we have,

[tex] ([a,a^{\dagger}])^{\dagger}=(aa^{\dagger}-a^{\dagger}a)^{\dagger}=a^{\dagger\dagger}a^\dagger - a^\dagger a^{\dagger\dagger} = a a^\dagger - a^\dagger a = 1 [/tex]

Last edited:
yes, of course!

sorry for asking...

and thanks once again!

1. What is the Lie bracket in quantum mechanics?

The Lie bracket is a mathematical operation used to describe the commutator of two operators in quantum mechanics. It is denoted by [A, B] and represents the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the operators in the opposite order, i.e. A*B - B*A.

2. What is the significance of solving the Lie bracket question in quantum mechanics?

Solving the Lie bracket question is crucial in understanding the relationship between different operators and their commutation properties in quantum mechanics. It allows for the calculation of important physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, and helps to predict the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How is the Lie bracket question solved in quantum mechanics?

The Lie bracket question is solved by using mathematical techniques, such as the Jacobi identity and the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula. These techniques involve manipulating the operators algebraically to derive the commutation relations between them.

4. What are some applications of solving the Lie bracket question in quantum mechanics?

Solving the Lie bracket question has many practical applications in quantum mechanics, including the calculation of energy levels in atoms and molecules, as well as the description of quantum systems in terms of creation and annihilation operators.

5. Are there any challenges in solving the Lie bracket question in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving the Lie bracket question in quantum mechanics, especially when dealing with complex systems with multiple operators. This requires advanced mathematical techniques and may involve approximations to simplify the problem. Additionally, the interpretation of the results can also be challenging and may require further analysis.