New here: on Fourier transform of wave-function

In summary, the person is asking for help with a task that is proving to be more complicated than they initially thought. They mention that they have read about a method called the Fock method, but that this method is also described in Avery's book. They ask for help finding information on these transforms or anyplace where they can find more information.
spex
hi, there

hope someone can help me

the task is simple, i have to calculate the Fourier tranform of wave-function to get it in momentum space

the problem is that this is a 4-dimensional space, so the Fourier transform is multi-dimensional

the only idea i have is that this wave-function has a hyperspherical harmonic as its part, so i guees the book of Avery J. 'Hyperspherical Harmonics: Application to Quantum Theory' can help

but i can't get it( has anyone seen it? an electronic version, i can't afford to get a printed version(

also I've read that maybe Fock method can help, but this method is also desribed in the same book(

cheers, Max

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try using a kernel of the form:

e^(i(pμxμ)/h) = ei(ωt-k.x)?

Is there some reason why you would think this is inappropriate?

thank you for your feedback

i do use this kernel to calculate Fourier transform, but the problem is that Schrodinger equation is solved not in ordinal coordinate space but in new 'hyperspherical' coordinates - rho, psi, theta, phi

so when i start to calculate Fourier transform i have to replace x, y, z, t with their expressions in hyperspherical coordinates so the task becomes more complicated

and i hope that Avery's book gives the way how to calculate it

Sorry spex.
I thought you were just asking about the generalization from 1-D to n-D Fourier transform. :redface:

I don't know how to do what you are trying to do, and I know nothing of "Avery's book."

ah... damn

do you know anything on Hankel or Watson transform? or any place where i can find more info about them?

I've never heard of the Watson transform, but I found a brief table of Hankels on the internet. I think it was on that Mathworld website. I'll see if it can find it again and then post the link.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HankelTransform.html

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to convert a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

How is a Fourier transform related to wave-functions?

In quantum mechanics, a wave-function is a mathematical representation of a particle's state. The Fourier transform of a wave-function can reveal the different frequencies present in the particle's motion, providing information about its energy and momentum.

Why is the Fourier transform important in physics?

The Fourier transform is a powerful tool in physics because it allows us to analyze complex functions in terms of simpler components. In addition to its applications in quantum mechanics, it is also used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics.

What are some common applications of the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform has many practical applications in addition to its uses in physics. It is commonly used in image and audio processing, data compression, and pattern recognition. It is also an essential tool in the analysis of signals and systems in engineering and communication.

Are there different types of Fourier transforms?

Yes, there are several types of Fourier transforms, including the discrete Fourier transform, fast Fourier transform, and Fourier series. Each type has its own specific use and mathematical properties, but they are all based on the same fundamental principles of decomposing a function into its frequency components.