Hot Water Radiator for Waste Heat Recovery in a plant

In summary, the conversation discusses a project on waste heat recovery design in a plant with multiple ovens. The plan is to transfer heat from one oven to another using water as a medium. However, the challenge is that the temperature of the oven where the heat will be recovered is higher than the desired temperature for the other oven, which could cause issues with condensation. The person is seeking suggestions on how to address this problem.
mutia.p
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have a very important question about engineering design.

I am currently working on my final project in my undergraduate study. The project that I am doing is about waste heat recovery design. My case study is a plant with a couple of ovens. The plan is to use the waste heat from one oven to be used in the other oven.
My professor suggested to take the heat from inside the oven and transfer it to the other oven. The heat will be transferred via water and it is supposes to work like radiator.
The temperature of the oven where the heat will be recovered is 270 C and the other oven needs to be at 200 C.

The problem is, the plant needs to recover as much heat as possible, but water boils at 100 C. If the water turns into steam, there will be problem with condensates.

Any suggestion regarding to this?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does water always boil at 100 deg C?

1. How does a hot water radiator work for waste heat recovery in a plant?

A hot water radiator works by using a heat exchanger to transfer the waste heat from the plant's exhaust gases to water. The hot water can then be used for various purposes, such as heating the plant or providing hot water for industrial processes.

2. What are the benefits of using a hot water radiator for waste heat recovery?

The main benefit of using a hot water radiator for waste heat recovery is the potential for cost savings. By utilizing waste heat from the plant, energy consumption and costs can be reduced. Additionally, it can also help to lower the plant's carbon footprint and contribute to more sustainable operations.

3. How efficient is a hot water radiator for waste heat recovery?

The efficiency of a hot water radiator for waste heat recovery depends on various factors, such as the type and size of the radiator, the temperature difference between the exhaust gases and the water, and the flow rate of the water. Generally, it can have an efficiency of 50-90%, with larger and more advanced radiators being more efficient.

4. Can a hot water radiator be used for waste heat recovery in all types of plants?

Yes, a hot water radiator can be used for waste heat recovery in various types of plants, including power plants, chemical plants, and manufacturing plants. However, the design and size of the radiator may vary depending on the specific needs and conditions of each plant.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for a hot water radiator used for waste heat recovery?

Like any other equipment, a hot water radiator used for waste heat recovery may require some maintenance to ensure optimal performance. This may include periodic cleaning and inspection of the heat exchanger, checking for leaks or corrosion, and replacing any worn-out parts. Regular maintenance can help prolong the lifespan of the radiator and ensure efficient waste heat recovery.