Multivariable Calculus: finding relative extrema/saddle points

In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with finding the relative extrema and saddle points of a given equation and trying to solve the resulting complicated problem. The student has attempted to use substitution and set the partial derivatives equal to each other but has ended up with a cubic equation. The student is seeking further help and is also curious about solving the problem.
Spatulatr0n

Homework Statement

I was given an assignment to find all relative extrema and saddle points of the equation

f(x,y) = 1/3x^4 + 1/2y^4 - 4xy^2 +2x^2 + 2y^2 + 3

I derived the first partial with respect to x and the first partial with respect to y, but when I tried to find where they both equal 0, the problem became really complicated. I don't know what I am suppose to do. Rather stuck.

Homework Equations

partial x: 4/3x^3 - 4y^2 + 4x

0 = 1/3x^3 - y^2 + x

partial y: 2y^3 - 8xy + 4y

0 = 2y(y^2 - 4x +2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using substition after setting the equations equal to each other, by using the partial derivatives to find

x = (y^2 + 2)/4

and

y = + or - sqrt(4x - 2)

y = + or - sqrt(1/3x^3 + x)

I have tried setting these two equal to each other to solve for x, but I get a cubic that I don't know what to do with. Is there something like "completing the cube" I could use? Haha.

(1/3x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0)

I'm so confused...please help me. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, (0,0) is clearly a critical point.

I found that one, at the very least. :)

The assignment was due today, posting this was a last hurrah, I suppose. Now, however, I'm merely curious as to how to solve it.

What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It involves the study of limits, derivatives, and integrals of functions with more than one independent variable.

What is the purpose of finding relative extrema/saddle points in Multivariable Calculus?

Finding relative extrema and saddle points allows us to identify critical points on a function, which are points where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. These points can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function and help us determine its maximum and minimum values.

How do you find relative extrema/saddle points in Multivariable Calculus?

To find relative extrema and saddle points, we first take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable. We then set these partial derivatives equal to zero and solve for the critical points. Next, we use the Second Derivative Test to determine if the critical points are relative extrema or saddle points.

What is the Second Derivative Test in Multivariable Calculus?

The Second Derivative Test is a method used to determine the nature of a critical point on a function. It involves taking the second partial derivatives of the function and evaluating them at the critical point. If the second partial derivatives are both positive, the critical point is a relative minimum. If they are both negative, the critical point is a relative maximum. If one is positive and the other is negative, the critical point is a saddle point.

How are relative extrema/saddle points used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, relative extrema and saddle points are used to optimize functions and solve optimization problems. They can also help us understand the behavior of physical systems and make predictions based on mathematical models.