Iodine Clock Collision Theory Basic Question

In summary, The iodine clock reaction involves two reactions: 2I−(aq) + S2O82−(aq) → I2 (aq) + 2SO42−(aq) and I2 (aq) + 2S2O32−(aq) → 2I−(aq) + S4O62−(aq). According to collision theory, molecules need to collide in specific positions to react. In this case, both molecules collide with each other. The question of which molecule needs to hit which does not make sense, as they both collide with each other. The reaction mechanisms for this reaction are not well researched in inorganic chemistry. There may be some involvement of electrophilic
getfirefox
Hey guys. Any chemistry experts around?

I just did Persulfate variation of the iodine clock experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_clock_reaction

According to collision theory explained on this page, molecules need to hit each other in certain positions to react.

Which molecule needs to hit which and in what direction in the iodine clock reaction?

2I(aq) + S2O82−(aq) → I2 (aq) + 2SO42−(aq)

and

I2 (aq) + 2S2O32−(aq) → 2I(aq) + S4O62−(aq)

Thanks guys!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I doubt you will find an answer - reaction mechanisms are researched mostly in organic chemistry, in inorganic they are not that important, so they are usually ignored.

Note that asking "which molecule needs to hit which" doesn't make much sense - they collide, so in a way each hits each.

--
methods

Borek said:
I doubt you will find an answer - reaction mechanisms are researched mostly in organic chemistry, in inorganic they are not that important, so they are usually ignored.

Note that asking "which molecule needs to hit which" doesn't make much sense - they collide, so in a way each hits each.

Yeah sorry if that was worded poorly.

Doesn't it have something to do with electrophilic addition or something though? The iodine being attracted to a positive bond somewhere (maybe the sulphur?). I really don't know but I sort of need to have an idea.

:(

1. What is the Iodine Clock Collision Theory?

The Iodine Clock Collision Theory is a scientific explanation for the reaction between two colorless solutions that results in a sudden color change. It states that the reaction occurs when the molecules of the two solutions collide with enough energy and in the correct orientation to form a new product.

2. How does the Iodine Clock Collision Theory relate to chemical kinetics?

The Iodine Clock Collision Theory is a key concept in chemical kinetics, which is the study of reaction rates and mechanisms. It explains how the rate of a reaction is dependent on the frequency of collisions between reacting molecules and the energy of those collisions.

3. What factors affect the rate of the Iodine Clock reaction?

The rate of the Iodine Clock reaction is affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the temperature and concentration of reactants will increase the frequency of collisions and therefore increase the reaction rate. A catalyst can also increase the reaction rate by providing an alternative pathway with a lower activation energy.

4. How is the Iodine Clock Collision Theory used in real-world applications?

The Iodine Clock Collision Theory has many practical applications, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals, chemical manufacturing, and food processing. It is used to understand and control reaction rates in these industries, ensuring that reactions occur efficiently and produce the desired products.

5. Are there any limitations to the Iodine Clock Collision Theory?

While the Iodine Clock Collision Theory is a useful tool for understanding and predicting reaction rates, it has its limitations. It does not take into account the effects of pressure, the size of molecules, or the presence of impurities. Additionally, it assumes that all collisions between molecules result in a reaction, which is not always the case in reality.