Solving a Plano-Convex Lens Problem: The 100th Bright Ring

• Thread starter AtticusFinch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens Ring
In summary, the radius of the 100th bright ring is 1.74 cm when a plano-convex lens with a radius of curvature of 4.00m is placed on a concave glass surface with a radius of curvature of 12.0 m and 500-nm light is incident normal to the flat surface of the lens.
AtticusFinch

Homework Statement

A plano-convex lens having a radius of curvature of r = 4.00m is placed on a concave glass surface whose radius of curvature is R = 12.0 m. Determine the radius of the 100th bright ring, assuming 500-nm light is incident normal to the flat surface of the lens.

Homework Equations

Kinda need to derive your own here. What I came up with was r - sqrt(r2 - s2) - R + sqrt(R2 - s2) = (m+.5)lambda/(2nfilm)

s is the radius of the mth bright ring, lambda is the wavelength of light, nfilm is 1 for this problem since I assume the film is air

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in numbers I get this.

I have no idea how to solve that equation without a calculator/computer, but I guess my answer would be 1.74 cm. Could be right, could be wrong.

Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I would suggest using the following formula to solve for the radius of the 100th bright ring:

r = sqrt((m+0.5)lambda*R*(R-r)/(2nfilm*(R-r+lambda)))

Plugging in the given values, we get:

r = sqrt((100+0.5)*500*10^-9*12*(12-4)/(2*1*(12-4+500*10^-9)))

r = 0.0174 m = 1.74 cm

So your answer is correct. Good job!

1. What is a plano-convex lens?

A plano-convex lens is a type of lens that has one flat surface and one outwardly curved surface, resembling half of a sphere. It is commonly used in optics and can focus or spread out light depending on the direction in which it is placed.

2. What is the 100th bright ring in a plano-convex lens?

The 100th bright ring refers to the 100th bright spot that appears when light passes through a plano-convex lens. These bright spots are created by diffraction, where the light waves bend and spread out after passing through the lens.

3. How is the 100th bright ring related to solving a plano-convex lens problem?

The 100th bright ring is important in solving a plano-convex lens problem because it serves as a reference point for measuring the diameter of the lens. By calculating the distance between the center and the 100th bright ring, we can determine the radius of curvature and focal length of the lens.

4. What factors affect the appearance of the 100th bright ring in a plano-convex lens?

The appearance of the 100th bright ring can be affected by factors such as the wavelength of light, the size of the lens, and the distance between the lens and the object. These factors can alter the diffraction pattern and change the position or intensity of the 100th bright ring.

5. How is solving a plano-convex lens problem useful in practical applications?

Solving a plano-convex lens problem is useful in many practical applications, such as designing optical instruments like telescopes and microscopes, as well as in industries like photography and laser technology. It allows us to understand and control the behavior of light passing through a plano-convex lens, making it an essential skill for scientists and engineers.