Energy deposited by high energy electrons in matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy deposited by high energy electrons traveling through Silicon, with a focus on radiative losses at higher energies. The critical energy where ionization loss equals radiative loss is mentioned to be around 40 MeV for silicon. The equations and resources for calculating both ionization and radiative losses are also requested. In response, the use of the Moller and Bhabba cross sections and the scaling down of the bremsstrahlung cross section by Z2 for silicon are suggested, as well as looking at GEANT4 for high energy physics applications. The validity of approximating dE/dX from radiative energy losses as E/Xo at very high energies of 10^7 MeV
RichardOsmond
Hello all,
i am trying to calculate the energy deposited by high energy electrons traveling through Silicon. I am dealing with energies in the range of 10^6 - 10^12 eV. I have read that radiative losses will dominate at higher energies and the critical energy where ionization loss = radiative loss is ~ 40 MeV for silicon. Can someone please direct me to the equations i can use to calculate both ionization and radiative losses for high energy electrons? Thanks.

Rich.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Bob,
I have read that dE/dX from radiative energy losses for electrons can be approximated as E/Xo, where E is the energy of the electron and Xo is the radiation length in the material. Is this approximation valid at very high energies? i.e. 10^7 MeV - 10^10 MeV.

Thanks.

1. What is the process of energy deposition by high energy electrons in matter?

Energy deposition by high energy electrons in matter refers to the transfer of energy from high energy electrons to the atoms or molecules of a material. This transfer of energy can cause the atoms or molecules to become excited, which can lead to various physical and chemical changes in the material.

2. How does the energy of high energy electrons affect the amount of energy deposited in matter?

The energy of high energy electrons directly affects the amount of energy deposited in matter. As the energy of the electrons increases, so does the amount of energy deposited in the material. This is because higher energy electrons have a greater ability to transfer their energy to the atoms or molecules of the material.

3. What are the potential effects of energy deposition by high energy electrons in matter?

The effects of energy deposition by high energy electrons in matter can vary depending on the type of material and the amount of energy deposited. Some potential effects include changes in the material's physical properties, such as melting or vaporization, and chemical changes, such as the creation of new molecules or breaking of chemical bonds.

4. How is energy deposition by high energy electrons used in scientific research?

In scientific research, energy deposition by high energy electrons is often used to study the properties and behavior of materials. By varying the energy of the electrons and observing the resulting effects, scientists can gain insights into the structure and composition of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

5. How can energy deposition by high energy electrons be harmful to living organisms?

In living organisms, energy deposition by high energy electrons can cause damage to cells and tissues. This can lead to various health issues, such as tissue damage, mutations, or even cell death. The extent of the damage depends on the type of tissue and the amount of energy deposited.