Dog vs Raft relativity momentum Question (PLEASE HELP)

In summary: There's a lot of different ways to solve this problem. This is just one of them.In summary, a dog of mass 10 kg standing on a raft, which has a mass of 40 kg and is 20 m from shore, walks 8 m towards the shore and then halts. By utilizing the momentum of the dog and the raft, the displacement of the dog from shore when he stops can be found to be 13.6m. There are multiple ways to solve this problem, one of which is to consider an observer on the shore and in the dog's reference frame, leading to the same result of 13.6m.
jeremygogan

Homework Statement

A dog of mass 10 kg is standing on a raft so that he is 20 m from shore. He walks 8 m along the raft towards shore and then halts. The raft has a mass of 40 kg, and we can assume that there is no friction between the raft and the water. How far is the dog from shore when he stops? [Answer: 13.6m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i can work out the solution by utilizing the momentum of the dog raft and then implement in into the vector addition no problem however according to my teacher no matter which way i explain how I've done it i am wrong. I know that the momentum of the dog / raft scenario works out to mass of the dog times the displacement divided by the mass of the raft is the same as the displacement of the raft backwards. you then take the two displacements, find their sum, minus that from the original distance. this results in 13.6m. not a problem, however there is apparently a flaw in my logic somewhere. apparently i am supposed to take the 20m and place it into the dog raft displacement equation before i solve for the momentum peice. PLEASE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP, IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Physics news on Phys.org
jeremygogan said:
the momentum of the dog / raft scenario works out to mass of the dog times the displacement divided by the mass of the raft is the same as the displacement of the raft backwards. you then take the two displacements, find their sum, minus that from the original distance. this results in 13.6m.

Show exactly how you think you solved the problem. I'm not quite sure what you are saying here so I can't tell you if you did something wrong.

let D=displacement vector

dog D ground = dog D raft + raft D dog

use the momentum of the dog and the raft to solve for one unknown variable

P=P'
let m1=dog, m2=raft
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'

momentum before is equal to zero

0 = m1v1'+m2v2'
-m2v2'=m1v1 v=d/t
-m2d2'/t=m1d1'/t times both sides by time
-m2d2'=m1d1'
-d2=m1d1'/m2
-d2=10*8/50
d2= -1.6m

now put this back into the original equation

dog D ground = dog D raft + raft D dog
dog D ground = 8m + (-1.6m)
dog D ground = 6.4m

now minus this from the original 20 and it gives you the 13.6m

I think your displacement equation is what is causing the confusion. For me you are switching reference frames way too many times. Here's how I would get a displacement equation.

The speed of the raft in the dog's reference frame, Vr-d, is equal to the speed of the dog in the shore's reference frame, Vd-s, minus the speed of the raft in the shore's reference frame, Vr-s. In equation form:

Vr-d = Vd-s - Vr-s

Multiplying through by time we get

Dr-d = Dd-s - Dr-s

Each side only uses one reference frame. Your equation uses two different frames on one side. How did you derive it?

Continuing the problem my way...

First consider an observer on the shore. By conservation of momentum the observer must see
10vdog=-40vraft

Consequently,

vraft = -1/4vdog

Now consider the dog's reference frame. To him the raft is moving by at a speed of:

vdog + 1/4vdog = 5/4vdog

He stops when he sees 8 m of raft go by, given by:

5/4vdogt = 8

t = 6.4/vdog

Obviously the time interval is the same for the observer. He sees the dog move forward by

vdog*6.4/vdog = 6.4 m = 20 - x

x = 13.6 m

1. How does the concept of relativity apply to dogs and rafts?

Relativity is the theory that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. In the case of dogs and rafts, this means that the motion and interactions between the two will be the same regardless of whether the observer is on the dog or the raft.

2. What is the role of momentum in the dog vs raft scenario?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In the case of a dog and raft, the momentum of the dog and the raft will be equal and opposite, as they are interacting with each other and exchanging momentum.

3. How does the mass of the dog and raft affect their interactions?

The mass of an object is a measure of its resistance to changes in motion. In the dog vs raft scenario, the mass of both objects will affect their interactions, as the heavier object will have more momentum and exert a greater force on the other object.

4. Can the concept of relativity and momentum be applied to other objects besides dogs and rafts?

Yes, the principles of relativity and momentum apply to all objects and their interactions. These concepts are fundamental to understanding the behavior of the physical world.

5. How can understanding relativity and momentum help us in our daily lives?

Understanding relativity and momentum can help us make sense of the world around us and predict how objects will interact with each other. This knowledge is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and even everyday tasks like driving a car or throwing a ball.