Interpreting the probability distribution of the potential step

In summary: For E<V, the solutions are indeed different. The point is that the solution is the same form, but with different amplitudes and wavenumbers.In summary, the conversation discussed a potential step problem in which a potential steps up from V=0 to V=V_0 at x=0. It was mentioned that for energies E < V_0, there is a non-normalisable solution for the wavefunction. The question was raised about how to interpret |\psi|^2 for this solution, and it was suggested that it could be seen as the interference between incoming and reflected plane waves. The conversation also touched upon the time-dependent version of the problem and the insights gained from solving it. Finally, there was a
Identity
Say you have a potential step problem where the potential steps up from [tex]V=0[/tex] to [tex]V=V_0[/tex] at [tex]x=0[/tex]. If the incident particle has energy [tex]E <V_0[/tex], you get a non-normalisable solution for the wavefunction.

How can you interpret [tex]|\psi|^2[/tex] for this non-normalisable solution? Is it still the probability density or does it mean something else?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You get two solutions, one is normalizable and one is not. We throw out the non-normalizable solution as it is not in Hilbert Space and is not a probability amplitude. It is curious why it is there, I think it stems back to our method of differential equations, rigorous mathematics may prove it is not a solution.

I'm not sure if you understood what I meant, sorry

The general solution is of the form:

[tex]\psi(x) = \begin{cases} Ae^{ik_1x}+A\frac{k_1-k_2}{k_1+k_2}e^{-ik_1x} \ \ \ \ \ \ x < 0\\\\ A\frac{2k_1}{k_1+k_2}e^{ik_2x}\ \ \ \ \ \ x \geq 0\end{cases}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]|\psi(x)|^2 = \begin{cases} A^2\left[1+\left(\frac{k_1-k_2}{k_1+k_2}\right)^2+2\frac{k_1-k_2}{k_1+k_2}\cos{2k_1x}\right] \ \ \ \ \ \ x < 0 \\\\ A^2\frac{4k_1^2}{(k_1+k_2)^2}\ \ \ \ \ \ x \geq 0\end{cases}[/tex]

For [tex]x<0[/tex] we have a cosine wave which can't be normalised, since it has a vertical translation

For [tex]x>0[/tex] we have a constant, which is certainly not normalisable.

The are continuous and differentiable at [tex]x=0[/tex], and in all regions satisfy the schrodinger equation for the potential step

However, since they are NOT normalisable, how do you interpret them?

Last edited:
Identity said:
I'm not sure if you understood what I meant, sorry

The general solution is of the form:

[tex]\psi(x) = \begin{cases} Ae^{ik_1x}+A\frac{k_1-k_2}{k_1+k_2}e^{-ik_1x} \ \ \ \ \ \ x < 0\\\\ A\frac{2k_1}{k_1+k_2}e^{ik_2x}\ \ \ \ \ \ x \geq 0\end{cases}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]|\psi(x)|^2 = \begin{cases} A^2\left[1+\left(\frac{k_1-k_2}{k_1+k_2}\right)^2+2\frac{k_1-k_2}{k_1+k_2}\cos{2k_1x}\right] \ \ \ \ \ \ x < 0 \\\\ A^2\frac{4k_1^2}{(k_1+k_2)^2}\ \ \ \ \ \ x \geq 0\end{cases}[/tex]

For [tex]x<0[/tex] we have a cosine wave which can't be normalised, since it has a vertical translation

For [tex]x>0[/tex] we have a constant, which is certainly not normalisable.

The are continuous and differentiable at [tex]x=0[/tex], and in all regions satisfy the schrodinger equation for the potential step

However, since they are NOT normalisable, how do you interpret them?

The solutions you are talking about are the plane wave solutions, and all of the problems you raise are also problems for a plane wave. Mathematically, plane waves are the momentum eigenstates, so you could interpret your results as showing the intereference between the incoming and reflected plane waves in the x<0 region, and as showing the transmitted plane wave in the x>0 region. However, there is a chicken and egg problem with this analysis, because it is time-independent and distributed over all space. Thus, as you say, it is a mathematical solution with little direct physical significance.

If you want to make your life a little harder, you can try solving the time-dependent version of this problems, where you start with a (normalized) wavepacket incident on the barrier from one side or the other. You can then propagate the wavepacket and see what happens when it encounters the barrier. The math is significantly more difficult, but the results are more physically significant. However, the qualitative insights about quantum phenomena are the same; the wavepacket splits into a reflected part and a transmitted part, and the reflected part interferes with the incoming wavepacket on its way back out (for a finite time).

Thus the static plane wave picture still gets you the quantum weirdness (barrier penentration for E<V and over-barrier reflection for E>V), but you have to work a lot less hard on the math. I think that is the main reason that the plane wave solutions for this 1-D problem (and many others), are taught in intro courses.

I don't see how you got those solutions for E less than V. For X > 0 you should have

Cexp[-sqrt(2m(V-E))x/h-bar]

I use C as a constant because the amplitude changes when the potential changes. Also the exponential is negative, the positive exponential is thrown out.

Also your incoming and reflected waves functions should not have the same amplitude.

LostConjugate said:
I don't see how you got those solutions for E less than V. For X > 0 you should have
For [itex]x>0[/itex], [itex]\psi \left( x \right)[/itex] is okay if [itex]k_2[/itex] is imaginary, but [itex]\left| \psi \left( x \right) \right|^2[/itex] is incorrect because then [itex]\left| \exp \left( i k_2 x \right) \right| \ne 1[/itex].
LostConjugate said:
Also your incoming and reflected waves functions should not have the same amplitude.

I think they are okay. Note that the reflected wave has a constant multiplying [itex]A[/itex].

Last edited:
George Jones said:
I think they are okay. Note that the reflected wave has a constant multiplying [itex]A[/itex].

Ahh..

LostConjugate said:

Cexp[-sqrt(2m(V-E))x/h-bar]

I use C as a constant because the amplitude changes when the potential changes. Also the exponential is negative, the positive exponential is thrown out.

Yes, you are right ... I had just assumed we were talking about E>V ... for which he gave the correct solutions.

1. What is the purpose of interpreting the probability distribution of the potential step?

The probability distribution of the potential step is used to understand the likelihood of a particle crossing a potential barrier. It helps to predict the behavior of particles in a system and can provide insights into the quantum mechanical properties of a system.

2. How is the probability distribution of the potential step calculated?

The probability distribution of the potential step is calculated using the Schrodinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. The equation takes into account the energy of the particle, the potential barrier, and other factors to determine the probability of finding the particle at a certain point in space.

3. What factors can influence the probability distribution of the potential step?

The probability distribution of the potential step can be influenced by the height and width of the potential barrier, the energy of the particle, the mass of the particle, and any external forces acting on the particle. These factors can change the probability of the particle crossing the barrier or being reflected back.

4. How does the probability distribution of the potential step change with different barrier heights?

If the potential barrier is higher, the probability of the particle crossing the barrier decreases, and the probability of reflection increases. Conversely, a lower potential barrier increases the probability of the particle crossing and decreases the probability of reflection.

5. Can the probability distribution of the potential step be experimentally verified?

Yes, the probability distribution of the potential step can be experimentally verified using techniques such as tunneling microscopy or spectroscopy. These experiments involve measuring the probability of particles crossing a potential barrier and comparing it to theoretical predictions based on the probability distribution function.