Particle Spin, Isospin, weak Isospin

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of spin, isospin, weak isospin, chirality, and helicity as they apply to particles in physics. Spin refers to intrinsic angular momentum, while isospin and weak isospin are related to symmetry in abstract spaces. Helicity is the projection of spin on the momentum vector, and chirality describes how particles transform under the Lorentz group. These concepts are important in understanding the properties and behavior of particles.
billbray
I'm losing my mind trying to differentiate spin, isospin, weak isospin; then there's chirality, helicity - i must be dyslexic and quantumly challenged.

Since it would be a monumental undetaking to do this online, does anyone know of a reliable source i can access online (other than wikipedia, etc) that describes the differences between these types of spin? I think once i get it, i'll be ok..

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Spin = intrinsic angular momentum in minkowski space

isospin = nuclear isospin, the up and down quark are up and down states in an abstract space due to their (almost) degenerate (=equal)mass. Thus except for their electric charge, they are the same particle in this space. The spin-up state of this particle is then the up quark and the spin-down state is then the down quark. This leads to the neutron and the proton are the same particle as well: the nucleon. The neutron is the then the spin down state and the proton the spin up state.

Weak isospin = spin in another abstract space, you assign SU(2) symmetry (the same symmetry but another space than the space for to the SU(2) symmetry for the up and down quarks)

but what is wrong with the wikipedia anyway?

the difference in these are just in the space they symmetry "acts" upon.

now helicity is the projection of spin on the momentum vector.

chirality is how particles transform under the Lorentz group, i.e. if they transform under the Left or the Right handed SU(2) subgroup of SO(1,3)

for massless particles, helicty and chirality is the same.

Chirality - the property of particles (or anything else) so that they are not symmetric under space inversions.
Helicity - the sign of chirality, to distinguish the two versions of a particle; based on convention.
Spin - intrinsic angular momentum; all massless particles with nonzero spin are chiral.
Weak isospin - conserved "charge" that is represented as a vector (unlike electric charge, which is a scalar). Isospin has nothing to do with spin, except the name.
(Strong) isospin - non-conserved quantity. For first-generation fermions it is somehow similar to weak isospin, however it is just a random consequence of small quark masses, not a fundamental symmetry or such.

1. What is particle spin?

Particle spin is a fundamental property of subatomic particles that describes their angular momentum. It is measured in units of ħ (the reduced Planck's constant) and can have values of 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, etc. Spin is responsible for many of the unique properties of particles, such as their magnetic moment and energy levels.

2. What is isospin?

Isospin is a concept in particle physics that describes the symmetry between particles with different electric charge but the same strong nuclear force interactions. It is analogous to spin, but instead of describing a particle's angular momentum, it describes its strong nuclear force charge. Isospin is measured in units of ħ/2 and can have values of 0, 1/2, 1, etc.

3. What is weak isospin?

Weak isospin is similar to isospin, but it applies specifically to particles that interact via the weak nuclear force. It is a quantum number that describes the symmetry between particles with different weak charge. Weak isospin is measured in units of ħ/2 and can have values of 0, 1/2, 1, etc.

4. How do particle spin, isospin, and weak isospin relate to each other?

Particle spin, isospin, and weak isospin are all intrinsic properties of subatomic particles that help us understand their behavior and interactions. They are all measured in units of ħ/2 and can have values of 0, 1/2, 1, etc. However, they describe different aspects of particles - spin describes their angular momentum, isospin describes their strong nuclear force charge, and weak isospin describes their weak nuclear force charge.

5. Why are particle spin, isospin, and weak isospin important in particle physics?

Particle spin, isospin, and weak isospin are important concepts in particle physics because they help us classify and understand the behavior of subatomic particles. They also play a crucial role in predicting and explaining the interactions between particles, which is essential in studying the fundamental forces of nature. Without these concepts, our understanding of the subatomic world would be incomplete.