Imaginary Numbers in a general homogenous solution for a differential equation

In summary: Therefore, the general solution is y = c1e-tcos(2t) + c2e-tsin(2t). In summary, the general solution for the differential equation y''+2y'+5y=3sin2t is y = c1e-tcos(2t) + c2e-tsin(2t).
TG3
Homework Statement
Find the general solution for:
y''+2y'+5y=3sin2t

The attempt at a solution

y''+2y'+5y=3sin2t

First step is to find the general solution to the homogenous equation, so skipping 2 steps (letting y=e^rt and dividing)
R^2+2r+5
(-2+/- sqroot(4-4*5))/2
=-1 +/- 2i

How do I put this complex number into my equation? Were it not for the 2i I'd say c1E^-T +c2Te^-T. Were it not for the -1 I'd say Acos(T) +Bsin(T).

But how do I combine them?

Physics news on Phys.org
TG3 said:
Homework Statement
Find the general solution for:
y''+2y'+5y=3sin2t

The attempt at a solution

y''+2y'+5y=3sin2t

First step is to find the general solution to the homogenous equation, so skipping 2 steps (letting y=e^rt and dividing)
R^2+2r+5
(-2+/- sqroot(4-4*5))/2
=-1 +/- 2i

How do I put this complex number into my equation? Were it not for the 2i I'd say c1E^-T +c2Te^-T. Were it not for the -1 I'd say Acos(T) +Bsin(T).

But how do I combine them?

Two linearly independent solutions are y1 = e(-1 + 2i)t and y2 = e(-1 - 2i)t. These can be written as e-tei2t and e-te-i2t. Using the fact that eix = cosx + isinx, and skipping a few steps myself, a different pair of linearly independent solutions is e-tcos(2t) and e-tsin(2t).

1. What are imaginary numbers in a general homogeneous solution for a differential equation?

Imaginary numbers are a mathematical concept that represents the square root of a negative number. In a general homogeneous solution for a differential equation, imaginary numbers are used to represent complex solutions that cannot be expressed using only real numbers.

2. How are imaginary numbers used in differential equations?

Imaginary numbers are used in differential equations to represent complex solutions that involve the use of imaginary numbers. This allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of a system and its solutions.

3. Why are imaginary numbers important in solving differential equations?

Imaginary numbers are important in solving differential equations because they allow for the representation of complex solutions that involve the use of imaginary numbers. This allows for a more accurate and complete understanding of the behavior of a system and its solutions.

4. Can imaginary numbers be used in real-life applications?

Yes, imaginary numbers can be used in real-life applications such as electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also commonly used in solving differential equations that model real-world systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using imaginary numbers in differential equations?

One limitation of using imaginary numbers in differential equations is that they can produce complex solutions that may not have a physical interpretation. In addition, not all differential equations have complex solutions, so imaginary numbers may not always be necessary in solving them.