Electron shot between two charged plates, does it hit?

In summary, an electron is shot between two horizontal plates and the initial velocity is calculated. The acceleration and displacement are then calculated.
mhen333

Homework Statement

A uniform, upward electric field E of magnitude 2.00x10^3 N/C has been set up between two horizontal plates by charging the lower plate positively and the upper plate negatively. The plates have length L = 10.0 cm and separation d = 2.00 cm. An electron is then shot between the plates from the left edge of the lower plate. The initial velocity Vi of the electron makes an angle theta = 45.0 degrees with the lower plate and has a magnitude of 6.00x10^6 m/s. (A) Will the electron strike one of the plates? (B) If so, which plate and how far horizontally from the left edge will the electron strike?

Homework Equations

[tex]
F = ma_{y}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_{y} = \frac{F}{m} = \frac{eE}{m}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I think I have this. The components (X and Y) of the velocity are

[tex]
V_{x_{0}} = (6.00 * 10^6 \frac{m}{s})(\cos {\frac{\pi}{4}}) = 4.24 * 10^6 \frac{m}{s} \hat{i}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
V_{y_{0}} = (6.00 * 10^6 \frac{m}{s})(\sin {\frac{\pi}{4}}) = 4.24 * 10^6 \frac{m}{s} \hat{j}
[/tex]

I will start with finding the acceleration,

[tex]
a_{y} = \frac{F}{m} = \frac{eE}{m}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_{y} = \frac{(-1.6*10^-19 C)*(2 * 10^3 N/C}{9.109 * 10^-31 kg}
a_{y} = -3.5 * 10^14 \frac{m}{s^2}
[/tex]

Using substitution and solving for t:
[tex]
t = \frac{-2 * V_{x}}{a} = \frac{-2(4.24 * 10^6 m/s}{-3.5 * 10^14 m/s^2} = 2.4 * 10^{-8} s
[/tex]

So in that length of time, the electron will travel distance:

[tex]
\Delta X = V_{x_{o}} * t = (4.24 * 10^{6} m/s) * (2.4 * 10^{-8} s) = .10176 m
[/tex]

Since 10.176 cm is greater than the 10cm length of the plates, am I done at this point?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not done. You have not shown that the electron will not hit the top plate before it clears the end of the bottom plate. Calculate how high vertically the electron will rise and compare that with the plate separation.

Oh, thanks!

So then,

[tex]
\Delta y = v_{0} * t - \frac{a * (t/2)^{2}}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]

\Delta y = 4.24*10^6 \frac{m}{s} * t - \frac{3.5 * 10^{14} \frac{m}{s^{2}} * t}{2}

[/tex]

Setting vertical displacement equal to 0.02m, and solving for t, I get

[tex]
t = 6.416 * 10^{-9} s
[/tex]

for the time when the electron hits.

At that point, finding the X displacement gives me

[tex]
\Delta x = .0272m
[/tex]

So it DOES hit, and very early on. Which makes sense, since it's going ridiculously fast to begin with, and angled at 45 degrees.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

1. What is the setup for an electron shot between two charged plates?

The setup for an electron shot between two charged plates involves having two parallel plates with opposite charges, a source of electrons, and an electron gun to shoot the electrons between the plates.

2. How does the electric field affect the electron's trajectory?

The electric field between the two charged plates will exert a force on the electron, causing it to accelerate towards the plate with the opposite charge. The strength of the electric field will determine the amount of force and thus the trajectory of the electron.

3. Will the electron hit one of the charged plates?

In most cases, yes, the electron will hit one of the charged plates. This is because the plates are placed close enough together and the electric field is strong enough to pull the electron towards one of the plates.

4. What factors can affect whether the electron will hit a charged plate?

The distance between the plates, the strength of the electric field, and the initial velocity of the electron are all factors that can affect whether the electron will hit a charged plate. The charge of the plates and the mass of the electron will also play a role.

5. Can the electron's trajectory be controlled?

Yes, the electron's trajectory can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric field, the distance between the plates, and the initial velocity of the electron. By manipulating these factors, the electron's path can be altered to hit a specific plate or to avoid hitting either plate.