Simple question about writing a log-how does the root go turn to divison?

In summary, the conversation was about using logarithms to rewrite calculations and make them easier to solve. The specific problem was (31.7^5 x 0.64 / 171.8)^1/3, which can be rewritten using log rules as 1/3{5log31.7 + log0.64 - log171.8}. The confusion was around how the exponent of 1/3 ended up in front of the brackets, but it was due to the power law of logarithms.
singleton
Simple question about writing a log--how does the root go turn to divison?

I understand the product, quotient and power laws of logarithms. But this piece in the book has me stumped. It says how they used logarithms to rewrite calculations and make them easier to figure out. Fair enough. But I'm not sure how part of it happens! (and the book sucks at expanding/explanation!)

(31.7^5 x 0.64 / 171.8)^1/3

becomes

1/3{5log31.7 + log0.64 - log171.8}

I understand what is inside of the braces, but how can the exponent come down in front like that :confused:

I can understand {5log31.7 + log0.64 - log171.8}^1/3 but not what is stated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

Do you know your log rules?

log (AB) = log A + log B

log (A / B) = log A - log B

log (a^c) = c*loga

Going to your problem we first work inside the brackets.

31.7^5 x 0.64 / 171.8 is what we will work with first.

So take the log of the numerator. It is a product. We have

log (31.7^5 * 0.64) / log (171.8). Use your log rules.

log (31.7^5) = 5*log(31.7)

= 5*log(31.7) + log 0.64 - log 171.8 (By our rules, try to figure it out)

Now we work with the power.

(5*log(31.7) + log 0.64 - log 171.8) ^ 1/3

= 1/3 (5* log(31.7) + log 0.64 - log 171.8)

Hence our problem is solved.

Sorry I should have stated how far I understand.

I understand the log laws and I can get to
(5*log(31.7) + log 0.64 - log 171.8) ^ 1/3

but I couldn't get the 1/3 in front

OHHHHH

frig
I wasn't even thinking about the power law :/
I was thinking in terms of solving what is inside the brackets (5.076)^1/3

I wasn't thinking of terms of the brackets having the log laws apply to them :yuck:

I'm so stupid :cry:

Edit: What I meant to say was that, I wasn't even thinking of what is inside the braces in terms of a log, rather I saw the "final solution" in my head and couldn't understand how it to the exponent 1/3 worked out that way. It makes better sense now.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the root in a division problem?

The root in a division problem is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number being divided.

2. What is the process for finding the root in a division problem?

To find the root in a division problem, you need to divide the number being divided by the divisor until you reach a quotient that is equal to the divisor. The final quotient is the root.

3. Can you explain the concept of finding the root in a division problem?

The root in a division problem is the inverse operation of multiplication. It represents the number of equal groups that can be made from the original number being divided. For example, if you have 12 cookies and divide them into 3 equal groups, the root is 4 because 4 x 3 = 12.

4. What is the difference between the root and the divisor in a division problem?

The root is the number of equal groups that can be made from the original number being divided, while the divisor is the number of equal groups that the original number is being divided into.

5. How does finding the root in a division problem relate to real-life situations?

Finding the root in a division problem can be useful in real-life situations such as dividing a pizza among a group of friends or sharing a bag of candies equally among siblings. It helps us understand the concept of equal sharing and division in everyday scenarios.