What schools have lattice gauge theory?

In summary, if you are interested in lattice QCD and are looking for a good place to study, NC State University would be a great option. You don't need a background in lattice QCD, but you would need to have a good background in theoretical nuclear/particle theory.
xbomber88
I'm applying to grad school this year and I'm thinking I might be interested in exploring lattice gauge theory. Honestly, I don't know very much about the subject but it sounds very interesting to me. Does anybody know which schools have lattice gauge theory and which schools are really good for lattice gauge theory? What would my background need to be like in order to study it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I am in exactly the same position as you; I am applying this year and interested in lattice QCD. I'd also be interested if anyone has something to say on the subject.

I found a http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~sugar/usqcd_members.pdf" of the USQCD organization, giving names and their universities/labs. You could look up people at places you are interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how my school ranks among others, but NC State University's best area is theoretical nuclear/particle theory. Check here.

http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/research/theoretical_nuclear.html

If you click on "Dr. Dean Lee" near the bottom, and then on his page click on his research group website you will see lattice gauge theory is his main area of study.

Here's something about him on physorg.com talking about lattice methods and effective field theory(this is the same thing as you are talking about I hope?)

http://www.physorg.com/news190476502.html

Lastly, I don't know how much this would affect your decision, if at all, but I have spoken with Dr. Lee and he is an extremely friendly and intelligent professor. Although I have not had a course with him, other students have said he is the best professor in the department here. I would think this would be a big consideration to take into account if one were to be a graduate student under his direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is lattice gauge theory?

Lattice gauge theory is a computational method used to study the fundamental forces and interactions of particles in quantum field theory.

2. How is lattice gauge theory different from other theories?

Lattice gauge theory differs from other theories in that it discretizes space-time into a lattice grid, allowing for numerical calculations to be performed on a computer.

3. What schools offer courses or research in lattice gauge theory?

Some universities that offer courses or research in lattice gauge theory include Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Colorado Boulder, and University of California, Los Angeles.

4. What are the applications of lattice gauge theory?

Lattice gauge theory has applications in high energy physics, condensed matter physics, and astrophysics, and has been used to study phenomena such as the strong nuclear force and phase transitions in materials.

5. What skills or background are required to study lattice gauge theory?

A strong foundation in quantum mechanics, field theory, and numerical methods is necessary to study lattice gauge theory. Familiarity with computer programming and mathematical software is also beneficial.