Is negative infinity divided by infinity still indeterminate?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether negative infinity divided by infinity is an indeterminate form and how to solve a specific problem involving a limit at infinity. It is determined that [-infty/infty] is indeed an indeterminate form and the solution to the problem involves using the conjugate of the original function and factoring out a common term in the denominator. The conversation also includes a demonstration of how to write the problem in LaTeX.
Glamis321
Just as the title states, I'm working on a problem and have come to negative infinity divided by infinity. Is this an indeterminate form? I know that if they are both positive it is indeterminate, but I can't remember if one being negative makes a difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should post the expression in question. The answer is that it depends and might require more care in taking a limit. For example

[tex]\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty} \frac{-r^2}{r^2} = \frac{-\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty} r^2}{\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty} r^2} [/tex]

has indeterminate numerator and denominator, but the ratio is actually finite. However

[tex]\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty} \frac{-r^3}{r^2} = \frac{-\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty} r^3}{\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty} r^2} [/tex]

is indeterminate.

Yes, [-infty/infty] is an indeterminate form, just as [infty/infty] is.

I'll give it a shot but I don't know how to use the latex codes.

The original problem was Lim (2x – square root of [4x2+x]),
x->∞

Just by plugging in the ∞, I came up with ∞-∞, which I know is indeterminate. So I multiplied in the conjugate of that function and came up with this.

-x divided by (2x+ sqrt of [4x2+x])

Yes. So far, so good. Here it is in LaTeX. Click the expression to see what I did.
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{-x}{2x + \sqrt{4x^2 + x}}[/tex]

You can factor x2 out of both terms in the radical, bringing out a factor of x, which means you can factor x out of the two terms in the denominator.

1. Is negative infinity divided by infinity always indeterminate?

Yes, negative infinity divided by infinity is always considered indeterminate. This is because infinity is not a real number and therefore cannot be divided.

2. What is the mathematical reasoning behind negative infinity divided by infinity being indeterminate?

The mathematical reasoning behind this is based on the concept of limits. When we approach negative infinity and infinity, the numbers become infinitely large and the result of the division becomes undefined.

3. Can negative infinity divided by infinity ever have a defined value?

No, negative infinity divided by infinity cannot have a defined value. This is because infinity is not a real number and division by infinity is not a valid mathematical operation.

4. Are there any situations where negative infinity divided by infinity can be considered defined?

No, negative infinity divided by infinity is always considered indeterminate in mathematics. However, in some cases, it may be useful to assign a limit to the expression, but this is not considered a defined value.

5. How does negative infinity divided by infinity relate to other indeterminate forms in mathematics?

Negative infinity divided by infinity is one of many indeterminate forms in mathematics, such as 0/0 and infinity/infinity. These forms are used to describe situations where the value of an expression is not uniquely determined by its components.