Dimensional analysis / similarity analysis help

In summary, the conversation discusses the investigation of the fluid motion of gas in an enclosure using a 1/10 scale model. The enclosure has already been built and smoke pellets will be used to visualize the fluid motion. The question is raised about whether scaling needs to be taken into account for a fan simulating wind. The use of a mass transfer differential equation is also mentioned in the conversation.
victor_123
I’m currently investigation the fluid motion (diffusion) of gas's so see how well they can ventilate in an enclosure.

I would like to simulate this using a (1/10) scale model. The enclosure has already been built, and smoke pellets are going to be placed inside to help visualize fluid motion.

If I add a fan to simulate wind, will there have to be any scaling on its velocity to account for the 1-10 scale model and smoke pellets being used??

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think so. If you have a model race track then a car traveling normal speeds on your scaled down track would be way too fast, right?

The mass transfer differential equation...
∂CA/∂t + v.∇CA = DAB2CA

Where v.∇CA is your convective mass transfer term and, as you can see, is entirely dependent on velocity.

Thanks, that’s what I thought too. But I’m unsure of what parameters to use in the analysis. Any ideas people?

Thanks again

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze physical quantities and their relationships by comparing their units of measurement.

2. How is dimensional analysis helpful in scientific research?

Dimensional analysis can help scientists understand the physical behavior of systems and make predictions without the need for extensive experimentation. It can also help identify which variables are most important in a given system.

3. What is similarity analysis?

Similarity analysis is a method used to compare two or more systems that have similar physical properties and behavior, but may differ in size or scale.

4. What is the importance of similarity analysis in engineering?

Similarity analysis is crucial in engineering to scale up or scale down designs and experiments. It allows engineers to test and predict the behavior of a system in different sizes without the need for costly and time-consuming trial and error.

5. Can dimensional and similarity analysis be used in fields other than physics and engineering?

Yes, dimensional and similarity analysis can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and economics. It is a versatile tool that can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems in different disciplines.