Find the number of ways an odd number of objects can be chosen

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, we can find the number of ways to choose an odd number of objects from n objects by adding the binomial coefficients for n being even and n being odd, which gives us a sum of 2n-1. This is because in the expansion of (1+x)^n, the number of terms is always even and half of these correspond to choosing odd numbers of objects. For even n, we can use Pascal's rule to prove this.
zorro

Homework Statement

Find the number of ways in which an odd number of objects can be chosen from n objects.

The Attempt at a Solution

We have 2 cases-

1) n is even

nC1 + nC3 + nC5 + ... nCn-1

2) n is odd

nC1 + nC3 + nC5 + ... nCn

I think adding them will give the answer.
How do I find out the sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Abdul! :smile:

Hint: for n odd, it's easy! :wink:

(if you can't see it immediately, try a few examples … in fact, trying a few examples is often a good idea anyway)

I used binomial expansions and surprisingly, got both of them as 2n-1.

Since that's half of 2n, that's not at all surprising for odd n …

can you see why? :wink:

Its obvious for odd n, what about even n?

sorry, are you saying you can see it's obvious for odd n, or not? :confused:

Yeah I can see it's obvious for odd n.
In the expansion of (1+x)n, the number of terms are n+1 = even number of terms , n being odd.

Of these even number of terms, half correspond to choosing odd number of objects and half correspond to choosing an even number of objects. Sum of any half = 2n-1

If n is even ( as in the case 1 ), how do you justify 2n-1 (the answer I got)?

Hi Abdul! :wink:
Abdul Quadeer said:
Of these even number of terms, half correspond to choosing odd number of objects and half correspond to choosing an even number of objects. Sum of any half = 2n-1

Yes, that's right. :smile:

But I can't see an obvious way of proving it for even n

(maybe someone else can? :smile:)

though I can see a neater maths way … consider (1 + 1)n + (1 - 1)n :wink:

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the number of ways an odd number of objects can be chosen?

The formula for finding the number of ways an odd number of objects can be chosen is nCk = (n-1)C(k-1) + (n-1)Ck, where n is the total number of objects and k is the number of objects being chosen.

2. Can you explain the logic behind the formula?

The formula is based on the principle of combination, where we consider two cases: choosing the first object and not choosing the first object. If we choose the first object, we have to choose an odd number of objects from the remaining (n-1) objects. If we do not choose the first object, we have to choose an odd number of objects from the remaining (n-1) objects. Therefore, the total number of ways is the sum of these two cases.

3. How do we apply this formula in a real-life scenario?

This formula can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as selecting a team of players from a pool of players, choosing a committee from a group of individuals, or picking a combination of items from a menu. It can also be used in mathematical problems involving combinations and probability.

4. Does this formula work for all odd numbers of objects?

Yes, this formula works for all odd numbers of objects. It is a general formula that can be applied to any number of objects and any number of objects being chosen as long as they are odd numbers.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the number of ways an odd number of objects can be chosen?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the binomial theorem or creating a tree diagram. However, the formula nCk = (n-1)C(k-1) + (n-1)Ck is the most efficient and commonly used method for finding the number of ways an odd number of objects can be chosen.