Self-replicating, energy seeking robot projects. Making robots that live.

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to create a simple mobile robot that can seek out and use its own fuel source, as well as replicate itself. The conversation also touches on the challenges of replicating life and human intelligence, and the lack of current projects focusing on creating robots with this ability. The potential benefits and implications of creating such a robot are also mentioned.
Researcher X
High technology robots that big companies like Sony strut out are nice, but what I want to know is not how to make a robot as intelligent and motive as a human by brute force, but how to create a simple mobile creature, which can seek out the fuel it runs on, and re-energize itself, and the materials it is made from, and replicate itself. Asimo might be smart, and maybe we'll get even smarter robots to the point of us calling them living, but as of now, we could be creating machines that follow the path of life regardless of intelligence. Making a worm that can actually do everything a worm can do would be a far bigger achievement than any current robot.

Imagine a robot made of carbon that is fueled by sugar. It has a nose "organ" in order to smell sugary substances, the brains to navigate a path, and sensors to detect interruption in light indicating obstacles. It can also detect carbon, and when it has enough energy, it can replicate its form again.

This is a problem that gets complex fast. A robot can't be made out of a single element, because motors, actuators etc have metal parts that have to be manufactured, and using sugar as a fuel requires a metabolism containing other elements. That's trying to replicate life itself, the most complex thing in existence. But then we're already trying to replicate human intelligence, something even more complex than basic life, so there should be lots of projects attempting this kind of bottom up approach: creating robots that can seek out energy, and replicate themselves. Where are they? I'm not saying "where are the robots" like some arrogant know-it-all who thinks people working in robotics can just snap their fingers and get something alive, but I'm not even seeing many projects in that direction. There doesn't seem to be people working on this.

Forget replication for a minute. That is the ridiculously complex part. Surely we at least have robots which can seek out non-human provided fuel and use it. There's a very large robot being developed right now, I forget the name, but it can capture flies which fall onto it and use them as fuel. It's very slow and big, but it's a start. Is anyone going further? Is anyone making a small robot which can detect sugars and use them as a power source?

I've been trawling robotics news sites for months, and I keep seeing new robotic human hands being created, and new visual, and learning algorithms being incorporated into robots, but not this. The fly machine was the first thing I've heard of on this front, I think ever.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think, with all the technology we have, it should be possible to create a simple robot which can seek out and use sugar as a fuel. It would be a very basic thing, but it would give us an understanding of how life works and how we can use that to create more complex lifeforms.

1. What is the purpose of creating self-replicating, energy-seeking robots?

The purpose of creating self-replicating, energy-seeking robots is to develop a more efficient and sustainable way to explore and colonize new environments, particularly in space or other inhospitable conditions. These robots have the ability to reproduce and seek out energy sources, reducing the need for human intervention and support.

2. How do self-replicating robots differ from traditional robots?

Traditional robots are typically designed for a specific task and require human programming or control to function. Self-replicating robots, on the other hand, have the ability to create copies of themselves and adapt to their environment, making them more independent and versatile.

3. What are the potential benefits of using self-replicating, energy-seeking robots?

The potential benefits of using these robots include reduced costs and risks associated with human space exploration, increased efficiency and productivity in industries such as agriculture and mining, and the potential to colonize and terraform new environments.

4. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding self-replicating robots?

There are ethical concerns surrounding the potential for these robots to harm humans or other living beings, as well as the possibility of them reproducing out of control and causing harm to the environment. It is important for thorough risk assessments and regulations to be in place before implementing these technologies.

5. What are the current limitations of self-replicating, energy-seeking robot projects?

One of the main limitations is the complexity of creating self-replicating systems that are reliable and able to adapt to changing environments. There are also concerns about the potential for these robots to malfunction or replicate in unintended ways. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and much research and development is needed before it can be fully realized.