Electrostatic force between a charged ring and charged rod.

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electrostatic force between an uniformly charged rod and an uniformly charged ring with displaced centers. The suggested method is to first consider the force between a point charge on the rod and the ring, and then expand it to the entire system. If z0 is much larger than the length of the rod, the expression reduces to that of the force between two point charges. It is recommended to provide a scan of the work for better assistance.
qpham26

Homework Statement

a) Calculate the electrostatic force on an uniformly charged rod of length 2L and charge q, which lies along the axis of an uniformly charged ring of radius R and charge q'. The centers of the charged rod and the rings are displaced at a distance z= z0.
b)Show that if z0 >> L then the expression from (a) reduces to that between point charges

2. The attempt at a solution
This is how I attacked this problem:
First I try to pick a point charge on the rod, I choose the one that is closest to the ring. Then the electric force between the ring and the point charge will be ...the formula that was driven b/t point charge and ring(sry I don't know how to type out the formula, but you know what I meant)

Then that result would become dF for the whole system, then I just need to expand the problem to get the expression between the rod and ring.

Is this the right way for doing problem like this?

I used that method to attack the problem but at the end I don't seem to get the right answer or be able to reduces to the case of that b/t point charge.

Thanks for reading.
p/s: I will try to work on it again and then I will scan my paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
qpham26 said:
Thanks for reading.
p/s: I will try to work on it again and then I will scan my paper.

Yes, that is a good idea. It's hard for us to help you if we don't know what you have tried.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electrostatic force between a charged ring and charged rod?

The formula for calculating the electrostatic force between a charged ring and charged rod is F = (k * Q1 * Q2 * d) / (r^2 * (d^2 + r^2)^(3/2)), where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the ring and rod respectively, d is the distance between the center of the ring and the center of the rod, and r is the radius of the ring.

2. How does the distance between the ring and rod affect the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between a charged ring and charged rod is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between their centers. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

3. Can the electrostatic force between a charged ring and charged rod be repulsive?

Yes, the electrostatic force between a charged ring and charged rod can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the ring and rod. If they have the same charge, the force will be repulsive and if they have opposite charges, the force will be attractive.

4. How does the charge of the ring and rod affect the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between a charged ring and charged rod is directly proportional to the product of their charges. This means that as the charges increase, the force increases and vice versa.

5. Does the size or shape of the ring or rod affect the electrostatic force?

Yes, the size and shape of the ring and rod can affect the electrostatic force. The force is directly proportional to the radius of the ring, so a larger ring will have a stronger force. In addition, the force is also affected by the distribution of charge on the ring and rod, so their shape can also impact the force.