Characteristic polynomial

In summary: Fq.In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimal polynomial of an element in F16 and understanding the concepts of characteristic and primitive polynomials. The process involves finding a polynomial that has the given element as a root and ensuring it is the minimal polynomial. A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial of a given element over a finite field, while a primitive polynomial is a monic polynomial with a primitive element as one of its roots. A primitive element has an order of q-1 over the finite field.
sara15
Hey guys,

I really need some help please!
I would really appreciate it if anyone can help out,

if we have F16 = F2/(x^4+x+1). can anyone explain to me how can I compute the minimal polynomials and the characteristic polynomils over F2 of elements of F16 and to point out the primitive ones . I have difficulty to understand this question.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, here's what you do to find the minimal polynomial. Take an element a in F16. First you need to find a polynomial such that a is a root of the polynomial, then you need to make sure that this polynomial is minimal.

Let me give an example: take x in F16 (where we interpret x as a polynomial).
Since F16=F2[X]/(X^4+X+1), we see that x is a root of the polynomial X^4+X+1. Furthermore, this is the minimal polynomial, since X^4+X+1 is irreducible over F2.

This is how you have to do these kind of things.
By the way, could you say what you mean with characteristic and primitive polynomials? I only know these terms with respect to linear algebra...

micromass said:
OK, here's what you do to find the minimal polynomial. Take an element a in F16. First you need to find a polynomial such that a is a root of the polynomial, then you need to make sure that this polynomial is minimal.

Let me give an example: take x in F16 (where we interpret x as a polynomial).
Since F16=F2[X]/(X^4+X+1), we see that x is a root of the polynomial X^4+X+1. Furthermore, this is the minimal polynomial, since X^4+X+1 is irreducible over F2.

This is how you have to do these kind of things.
By the way, could you say what you mean with characteristic and primitive polynomials? I only know these terms with respect to linear algebra...

Thanks for replying to my question. I do not know how to find the characteristic polynomial
by this way (x-alpha)(x-sigma(alpha))...(x-sigma^n-1(alpha)) this is called the characteristic polynomial of alpha over Fq , where alpha is in Fq^n.
and the primitive polynomial is a monic polynomial of degree n over Fq and has a primitive element of Fq^n as one of its roots. The primitive element is an element that has order q-1

What is a characteristic polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation that is obtained by setting the determinant of a square matrix equal to zero. It is used in linear algebra to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

How is a characteristic polynomial calculated?

To calculate a characteristic polynomial, you first find the determinant of the matrix. Then, you subtract the identity matrix multiplied by the eigenvalue from the original matrix. This is repeated until all eigenvalues have been found and then the characteristic polynomial is formed by multiplying all the eigenvalues together.

What are the applications of characteristic polynomials?

Characteristic polynomials are used in various fields of mathematics such as differential equations, graph theory, and physics. They are particularly useful in finding the stability of a system and in solving linear differential equations.

How are characteristic polynomials related to eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

The roots of a characteristic polynomial are the eigenvalues of the matrix. Once the eigenvalues are found, the corresponding eigenvectors can be calculated by solving a system of linear equations. Eigenvectors are important in understanding the behavior of a system and are used in diagonalizing a matrix.

Are characteristic polynomials unique for a given matrix?

Yes, characteristic polynomials are unique for a given matrix. This means that no matter what method is used to calculate the characteristic polynomial, the result will be the same. However, the order of the roots may vary depending on the method used.