The First Scientist: Anaximander and his legacy

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the book discusses a student of Thales, Anaximander, and his theory of the Earth being a cylindrical drum with the Mediterranean forming a puddle at its center.
marcus said:
Google translator is amazing. I wanted an example of the use of the early Greek word for feudal lord or tribal leader ANAX

So I monkeyed around with a traditional Jewish prayer and got this

ακουει ισραελ Αναξ ο Θεός σου ένας Αναξ μονοσ

I'm sure that this has grammar mistakes and anachronisms etc but Google translated it.

I will have to try that again. Yes it translates it this way:
hear Yisrael lord your God is one lord ALONE

Hi Marcus - I find your posts very interesting and insightful. Yes, Google translate is amazing.

If you didn't know already, there is an on line bible at;

http://www.onlinebible.org/

You can download various modules such as Hebrew, Byzantine Greek, etc, and run them in parallel to the English (and numerous versions of that) so as to compare language, meanings, tranlation (or loss thereof) etc. I toy with it often and occasionally find it quite revealing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anaximander was the primary person at the root of the tradition where there is an idea of natural or physical law, and a model of the cosmos with the Earth surrounded by empty space (not supported by elephants etc.) and where natural causes are found for phenomena (like life, rain, eclipses, day and night, etc.) rather than explaining mythically by divine agency.
So I was playing around some more with Google translator and this occurred to me:

ακουει ισραελ το νομος του κοσμου σου ενας νομος μονος

Again I do suspect that this has grammar mistakes etc but it translates more or less this way:
Hear O Israel the Law of your cosmos is one Law.

Played around with it some more and got:
Ακούστε Ιωνες, το νομος του κοσμου σου ενας νομος μονος

Listen Ionians, the Law of your world is one Law.

Last edited:
Rovelli just gave a couple of (I think interesting) talks at Princeton. One of them, on Anaximander, was yesterday 25 April at 4:00 PM:
http://philosophy.princeton.edu/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=161&extmode=view&extid=809

Anaximander Of Miletus: Early Beginning And Conceptual Aspects Of Scientific Thinking
Carlo Rovelli, Centre de Physique Théorique de Luminy, Aix-Marseille University, France

The other talk was at the Institute for Advanced Studies, on the current definition, status, open problems, and prospects of Loop quantum gravity. That was two days earlier.

Monday, April 23, 2012
High Energy Theory Seminar
“Loop Quantum Gravity: Recent Results and Open Problems”
Time: 2:30 PM
Speaker(s): Carlo Rovelli, Centre de Physique Théorique de Luminy, Aix-Marseille University, France
Description: The loop approach to quantum gravity has developed considerably during the last few years, especially in its covariant ('spinfoam') version. I present the current definition of the theory and the results that have been proven. I discuss what I think is still missing towards of the goal of defining a consistent tentative quantum field theory genuinely background independent and having general relativity as classical limit.
http://www.princeton.edu/physics/events/viewevent.xml?id=347

:biggrin:

Hear, O Ionians, the Law of your world is one Law.
_____

Last edited:
Here's an online video of a talk by Rovelli about Anaximander and the birth of the scientific tradition
http://www.cerimes.fr/le-catalogue/comment-est-nee-la-science-anaximandre-premier-scientifique.html [Broken]
The first 8 minutes are by someone else (a French astrophysicist) and if you want to you can skip that by dragging the time button sort of 10% of the way along or however much you need to to get to around 8 minutes into the program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, yet again, Marcus!

I'm glad to be able to share an interest in the early science of the Ionians, Fuzzyfelt. I am thankful to you for this opportunity!
Also I think you are comfortable with French---it presents no obstacle to you. So if you watch it you can tell better than I can how well the lecture went.

No, I don't find it that easy, but I've had some help, and I've enjoyed it.

I'm forgetful, I think of you as speaking some Italian, possibly bilingual, because of having lived some time in Italy. But I could easily be confused. And that does not mean you would automatically understand a lecture by Rovelli in French. But you probably come closer than I do :biggrin:

BTW the Anax book was doing well last time I looked. At noon Pacific time (which I guess is 9 PM over there) today 19 May it was #497 in all Amazon books:

==quote Italian Amazon==
Posizione nella classifica Bestseller di Amazon: n. 497 in Libri (Visualizza i Top 100 nella categoria Libri)
n.26 in Libri > Società e scienze sociali > Filosofia
n.39 in Libri > Scienze, tecnologia e medicina
==endquote==
http://www.amazon.it/dp/8861840752/

"Anaximander's Revolution"--La rivoluzione di Anassimandro--I like that part of the title.

And number 26 and 39 on a couple of their "top 100" bestseller lists. Not bad!
====================

Just for comparison I checked with Usa Amazon to see how the e-book is doing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NI3BWI/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #134,299 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#79 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > History > Ancient > Greece

This Greek phrase still echoing in my head:

[Akouste Iones, to Nomos tou cosmou sou enas Nomos monos. (The "to" pronouced "toe". The "ou" pronounced "oo")]

Hear, O Ionians, the Law of your world is one Law.
___

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I wish I had a million hours of spare time to find all of the PF Jewel threads.

Thank god they pop up once in awhile for me to catch glimpse of.

I do like the way this Rovelli thinks:

Carlo Rovelli said:
The core of science is therefore not a quest for certainty. Rather, it is a deep acceptance of our persisting uncertainty, and our vast ignorance. Science is born from the discovery that in front of the innumerable aspects of the world that we do not (yet?) understand, accepting our ignorance and being open to learn step by step is far more productive that making up a story and sticking to it.
from his SciAm blog

Reminds me a bit of something Andre said the other day:

...it should be a high ethical duty of any phycisian to monitor clinical pictures and medical treatments and investigate and report anything he considers irregular.
bolding mine
from his Ethics in science thread

Physicians probably more than anyone should study Anaximander. One set of their studies, pathogens, tend to evolve much more quickly than their patients.

We enjoyed the french with the rolling "R", Marcus. :)

And good thoughts, Om, about uncertainty.

Last edited:
<h2>1. Who was Anaximander?</h2><p>Anaximander was an ancient Greek philosopher and scientist who lived in the 6th century BC. He is often referred to as the first scientist because of his contributions to the fields of astronomy, geography, and philosophy.</p><h2>2. What were Anaximander's major contributions?</h2><p>Anaximander is best known for his theory of the "apeiron", or the boundless, which he believed was the fundamental substance that makes up the universe. He also created the first map of the known world, proposed that the Earth was suspended in space, and developed the concept of the "cosmic cycle".</p><h2>3. How did Anaximander's ideas influence later scientists?</h2><p>Anaximander's ideas had a significant impact on the development of Western science. His theories of the "apeiron" and the Earth's position in space were later expanded upon by philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. His map of the world also influenced the work of later geographers and cartographers.</p><h2>4. What is the significance of Anaximander's legacy?</h2><p>Anaximander's legacy lies in his pioneering approach to understanding the natural world. He was one of the first thinkers to use observation and reason to explain the physical world, laying the foundation for modern scientific inquiry. His ideas also challenged traditional religious and mythological beliefs, paving the way for a more rational and empirical approach to understanding the universe.</p><h2>5. How does Anaximander's work relate to modern science?</h2><p>Anaximander's ideas may seem outdated by modern scientific standards, but his approach to understanding the natural world is still relevant today. His emphasis on observation, reason, and the search for a fundamental substance that makes up the universe are all fundamental principles of modern science. Additionally, his contributions to the fields of astronomy and geography have laid the groundwork for our current understanding of the cosmos and the world we live in.</p>

1. Who was Anaximander?

Anaximander was an ancient Greek philosopher and scientist who lived in the 6th century BC. He is often referred to as the first scientist because of his contributions to the fields of astronomy, geography, and philosophy.

2. What were Anaximander's major contributions?

Anaximander is best known for his theory of the "apeiron", or the boundless, which he believed was the fundamental substance that makes up the universe. He also created the first map of the known world, proposed that the Earth was suspended in space, and developed the concept of the "cosmic cycle".

3. How did Anaximander's ideas influence later scientists?

Anaximander's ideas had a significant impact on the development of Western science. His theories of the "apeiron" and the Earth's position in space were later expanded upon by philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. His map of the world also influenced the work of later geographers and cartographers.

4. What is the significance of Anaximander's legacy?

Anaximander's legacy lies in his pioneering approach to understanding the natural world. He was one of the first thinkers to use observation and reason to explain the physical world, laying the foundation for modern scientific inquiry. His ideas also challenged traditional religious and mythological beliefs, paving the way for a more rational and empirical approach to understanding the universe.

5. How does Anaximander's work relate to modern science?

Anaximander's ideas may seem outdated by modern scientific standards, but his approach to understanding the natural world is still relevant today. His emphasis on observation, reason, and the search for a fundamental substance that makes up the universe are all fundamental principles of modern science. Additionally, his contributions to the fields of astronomy and geography have laid the groundwork for our current understanding of the cosmos and the world we live in.