What Forces Encourage Liquid Down a Straw?

• Thread starter Eliza452
  • Start date
In summary, the force that encourages liquid to go down a straw is primarily gravity, but pressure differences and surface tension can also play a role. Changing the slope of the straw can affect the rate of movement. Terms to research include pressure, gravity, and surface tension.
Eliza452
Ok, I did not take thermodynamics and my internet searching made little headway but gave me more questions.

When you drink out of a straw - you apply a suction force overcome the force of gravity. The moment that you stop "sucking" - the liquid goes back down the straw.

What is the force that encouraging the liquid to go down the straw?
My first guess was gravity.

I was also wondering if there was a pressure difference. However, if both ends of the straw are open to the atmosphere - they are both at atmospheric pressure so there is no pressure difference to encourage the liquid to go down the straw? Are pressure and gravity related at all depending if you tilted the straw or something?

To minimize too many forces in my head - I'm focusing on a "slug" of water - that was the term used in some of the internet articles.

My last question is that I ran into the concept of surface tension. It sounds like surface tension/capillary action can lift liquid up but wouldn't their be an equal surface tension on the opposite end of the slug?

Can anyone one help me guide me with what terms/definitions I should be looking at?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eliza452 said:
When you drink out of a straw - you apply a suction force overcome the force of gravity.
More accurately, you lower the pressure inside your (rigid) body, causing ambient air pressure in the (let's say juice container) to push the liquid up the staw.

Eliza452 said:
What is the force that encouraging the liquid to go down the straw?
My first guess was gravity.
Yes. Once pressure at both ends of the straw equalizes, gravity pulls the liquid back down, just like anything else.

Eliza452 said:
I was also wondering if there was a pressure difference. However, if both ends of the straw are open to the atmosphere - they are both at atmospheric pressure so there is no pressure difference to encourage the liquid to go down the straw?
Not if the juice container is open to air. If it were sealed (such as some tetra packs) then the pressure inside the juice container may be lower, adding to the pull of gravity.

Eliza452 said:
Are pressure and gravity related at all depending if you tilted the straw or something?
Pressure and gravity won't change, no, but changing the slope of the straw will affect friction and rate of movement.

1. What is the force that makes liquid flow down a straw?

The force that makes liquid flow down a straw is gravity. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that pulls objects towards each other. In this case, gravity is pulling the liquid down towards the bottom of the straw.

2. Why does liquid flow down a straw faster than if you were to pour it directly from the container?

Liquid flows down a straw faster due to the principle of atmospheric pressure. When you suck on the straw, you are creating a vacuum inside the straw. This decrease in air pressure allows the atmospheric pressure on the surface of the liquid to push it up and into the straw, causing it to flow faster.

3. Can any liquid be pulled up through a straw?

Yes, any liquid can be pulled up through a straw as long as it is not too thick or viscous. The thinner the liquid, the easier it is for it to be pulled up through the straw due to the force of gravity.

4. How does the length and diameter of a straw affect the flow of liquid?

The length and diameter of a straw have a direct impact on the flow of liquid. A longer straw will have more surface area, allowing for more liquid to be pulled up through it. A wider diameter straw will also allow for more liquid to flow through at a faster rate.

5. Why does liquid sometimes stop flowing through a straw?

Liquid may stop flowing through a straw if the vacuum inside the straw is broken. This can happen if the liquid reaches the top of the straw or if air is able to enter the straw, equalizing the pressure and stopping the flow. Additionally, if the straw is bent or kinked, the flow of liquid can be interrupted.