Particle Exchange Symmetry Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding particle exchange symmetry and its application to a basic problem with 2 spin-1/2 particles in a 1D infinite square well. The main question is whether a symmetric state can be considered a triplet state or vice versa for a singlet state, and the discussion also touches on the physical restrictions for specifying allowable particle states. Both participants express their confusion and difficulty understanding this concept.
Delber
I am having some trouble understanding particle exchange symmetry and I'm working on the most basic problem with 2 spin-1/2 particles in a 1D infinite square well.

I understand that a singlet state requires a symmetric spatial wave function and a triplet requires an antisymmetric wave function. So my main question is can I arbitrarily just make a state that is symmetric and call that a triplet state or vice versa for a singlet state with a symmetric state? I am quite confused on the physical restrictions imposed to correctly specify the correct allowable particle states.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is so weird, I literally just posted a thread on almost the exact same thing, I too find particle exchange symmetry very confusing!

1. What is particle exchange symmetry?

Particle exchange symmetry is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the physical properties of a system should remain unchanged when identical particles are exchanged. This means that the behavior of a system should be the same regardless of which particles are involved, as long as they are identical in all other aspects.

2. How does particle exchange symmetry relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wavefunctions that can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location. Particle exchange symmetry is closely related to the concept of wavefunction symmetry, which states that the wavefunction should remain unchanged when particles are exchanged. This is a key principle in understanding the behavior of quantum particles.

3. What are the consequences of particle exchange symmetry?

The consequences of particle exchange symmetry are far-reaching and have been observed in many areas of physics. One of the most notable consequences is the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This principle is essential in explaining the stability of matter and the behavior of electrons in atoms.

4. Is particle exchange symmetry always conserved?

In classical physics, particle exchange symmetry is always conserved. However, in quantum mechanics, this symmetry can be broken in certain situations. For example, in some quantum systems, particles can become entangled, which means that their individual identities are lost, and particle exchange symmetry is no longer applicable. Additionally, certain fundamental forces, such as the weak nuclear force, violate particle exchange symmetry.

5. How is particle exchange symmetry tested in experiments?

Particle exchange symmetry can be tested in various ways in experiments. One common method is to study the scattering of particles, such as electrons or protons, off of each other. By analyzing the scattering patterns, physicists can determine if the particles are behaving in a symmetric manner. Another way to test particle exchange symmetry is through particle accelerator experiments, where high-energy collisions can reveal any violations of this principle.