What is the significance of nontrivial solutions in linear algebraic equations?

• Thread starter firecool
  • Start date
In summary, finding non-trivial solutions to two linear algebraic equations involves equating the determinant of the coefficients to zero, indicating that the two lines have the same slope and lie on top of each other. While it may seem like one equation would suffice, both equations are necessary in order to determine if the solutions are non-trivial. This concept is often encountered when dealing with systems with two degrees of freedom and additional conditions must be satisfied.
firecool
finding out non trivial solution of two linear algebraic equations means we have to equate the determinant of the coefficients to zero which in turn means the slope of the two lines are same and they lie on each other. so what is the use of two equations for this? can we get the points or solution from just one equation? and it basically implies that both the lines are same. I'm getting confused here over the significance of the nontrivial solutions. i came across this in the derivation of frequencies of systems with two degress of freedom.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wonderred why 77 people had looked at this thread but none had responded. Now, I see. It is almost impossible to understand what you are saying. When looking for "non-trivial solutions of two linear algebraic equations" we do NOT "equate the determinant of the coefficients to zero". We do that only when working with homogeneous equations. I.e. something like ax+ by= 0, cx+ dy= 0. If the determinant ad- bc is not 0, then the only solution is x= y= 0. But if ad- bc= 0 then, yes, the two equations are equivalent and there exist an infinite number of solutions: choose x to be anything and y= -(a/b)x which is the same as y= -(c/d)x. You are right that you don't need both equations- but you don't know that until you find that the determinant is 0. And you need both equations to do that.

Typically, such a problem occurs when you have other conditions as well. If your solutions were "trivial" you would not be able to satisfy those additional conditions. So you start with two equations and, typically, see that some parameters must have a certain value so that your equations are the same and you do have non-trivial solutions and can satisfy the other conditions.

thanks! :) i think i get it..

1. What are non-trivial solutions?

Non-trivial solutions refer to solutions that are not obvious or easily deduced. In other words, they are solutions that require some level of analysis, experimentation, or creativity to be found.

2. Why are non-trivial solutions important in scientific research?

Non-trivial solutions often lead to breakthroughs and advancements in scientific research. They challenge existing theories and can provide new insights and understanding in various fields of study.

3. How can one find non-trivial solutions?

Finding non-trivial solutions requires a combination of critical thinking, experimentation, and open-mindedness. It often involves exploring alternative approaches and thinking outside the box.

4. Can non-trivial solutions be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, non-trivial solutions have real-world applications and are often used to solve complex problems in various industries and fields, such as technology, medicine, and engineering.

5. Are non-trivial solutions always the best solution?

Not necessarily. While non-trivial solutions can be innovative and groundbreaking, they may not always be the most practical or efficient solution. It is important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks before implementing a non-trivial solution.