Can we explore white dwarfs with robotic missions?

• Thread starter bostonnew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    White dwarf
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of non-human robotic missions to a white dwarf and the challenges that would be faced due to the extreme heat and high surface gravity of the star. It was also mentioned that conventional science does not have the capability to land on a star and any material that could withstand the conditions would likely be unable to perform complex activities. The conversation also touched on the possibility of visiting red dwarfs or brown dwarfs, which would have lower temperatures and therefore be more feasible for exploration. Finally, there was a discussion about the composition and density of white dwarfs, with the conclusion that they may have solid surfaces made of crystalized carbon and oxygen.
bostonnew
Hi all,

If we develop the right kind of space ships, would it be possible to do non-human robotic missions to a white dwarf? What would it be like?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would be very hot (that's why it is white) and the surface gravity would be very large (mass comparable to that of the sun in a planet sized volume).

Ok, thanks.

What about red dwarfs or brown dwarfs? I'm just curious if we can ever visit a star. Do we know of any material that could withstand the kind of heat required?

bostonnew said:
Ok, thanks.

What about red dwarfs or brown dwarfs? I'm just curious if we can ever visit a star. Do we know of any material that could withstand the kind of heat required?

We can certainly visit them. What would be accomplished by landing on them?

DaveC426913 said:
We can certainly visit them. What would be accomplished by landing on them?

A melted spacecraft at the taxpayers expense?

I don't think conventional science can theoretically land on a star in answer to the original OP. You would need a magic technology like a star trek type "force field".

Uhh, I think we are overlooking the fact that there is nothing to land on! Stars do not have a solid surface, so it's more like trying to land on Jupiter. And to get to anything resembling a solid surface, you have to go very deep down, then you have both pressure and ridiculous temperatures to contend with. Not possible, no.

Nabeshin said:
Uhh, I think we are overlooking the fact that there is nothing to land on! Stars do not have a solid surface,

White dwarfs are not normal stars. It is hypothesized that they do indeed have solid surfaces of crystalized carbon and oxygen under a thin atmo of hydrogen and helium.

This reminds me of the novel Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward. In it a neutron star passes close by the solar system and humanity seizes on this opportunity to do some study and send a manned ship. Upon arrival they find that the surface is covered in life made from nuclear matter, the effect of this is that they are very small and 'chemical' reactions occur 1,000,000 times faster. Within a day some tribal life has evolved to a space faring race.

In all seriousness though the gravity will be so huge that any material capable of withstanding it is unlikely to be able to do any complex activity, in combination with the heat it's extremely unlikely that we could land some sort of vehicle. You would probably have to build the probe out of the material the star is made out of.

Last edited:
bostonnew said:
Ok, thanks.

Red dwarfs would be just cool enough for some engineering materials to endure, while brown dwarfs would be a piece of cake. The gravity is very high on both, but not impossibly so. However neither have surfaces to land on.

One possibility is the equatorial low-gee belt of a neutron star. Some are rotating fast enough to cancel most of their gravity and create conditions suitable for normal matter to exist in. Stephen Baxter has written a couple of SF stories using that concept in his Xeelee sequence.

DaveC426913 said:
White dwarfs are not normal stars. It is hypothesized that they do indeed have solid surfaces of crystalized carbon and oxygen under a thin atmo of hydrogen and helium.

Interesting, I suppose it sort of makes sense. I'm wondering, do you know of a place to find the density profile for these compact objects? I was under the (completely unfounded) impression that they had a (relatively) large gaseous envelope and slowly transitioned to higher densities rather than a well defined surface like the Earth.

Nabeshin said:
Interesting, I suppose it sort of makes sense. I'm wondering, do you know of a place to find the density profile for these compact objects? I was under the (completely unfounded) impression that they had a (relatively) large gaseous envelope and slowly transitioned to higher densities rather than a well defined surface like the Earth.

There's dozens of papers on them from the last decade alone. White dwarfs are very popular astrophysical objects as the physics is pretty straight forward. Just Google or hit the ADS or the ArXiv.

1. How is it possible to land on a white dwarf?

Landing on a white dwarf is not currently possible with our current technology. White dwarfs are extremely dense and have high gravitational pull, making it difficult for any object to land on its surface.

2. Can humans survive landing on a white dwarf?

No, humans would not be able to survive landing on a white dwarf. The intense gravitational pull and extreme temperatures would make it impossible for humans to survive on its surface.

3. What would happen if an object landed on a white dwarf?

If an object were to somehow land on a white dwarf, it would be crushed by the immense gravitational force and extreme pressure. The object would also be subject to extremely high temperatures, causing it to vaporize.

4. Are there any spacecrafts that have landed on a white dwarf?

No, there are no spacecrafts that have landed on a white dwarf. The closest we have come to studying a white dwarf up close is through observations and data collected by telescopes and satellites.

5. Why is it important to study white dwarfs?

White dwarfs are important to study because they are the end stage of most stars, including our Sun. By studying them, we can gain a better understanding of the life cycle of stars and the processes that occur at the end of a star's life. They can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of our universe.