Vector XY: Possible Coordinates for X & Y

In summary, the ordered pair <-3,2> represents vector XY, which stretches -3 units in the x direction and +2 units in the y direction. Possible coordinates for X and Y could be (-3,0) and (0,2), (0,0) and (3,2), or (2,-2) and (-1,0).
jessbrewer
The ordered pair <-3,2> represents vector XY. Give possible coordinates for X and Y?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue how to even attempt this problem since I haven't ever been given such a problem. Could I get any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

jessbrewer said:
The ordered pair <-3,2> represents vector XY. Give possible coordinates for X and Y?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue how to even attempt this problem since I haven't ever been given such a problem. Could I get any help please?

Welcome to the PF.

It probably means that the vector stretches -3 units in the x direction, and +2 units in the y direction. You can draw infinitely many vectors with those dimensions, each one starting at a different (x,y) point on the graph.

Can you give several ordered pairs of (x,y) points that have that length vector between them? Each answer should have a starting (x,y) point and an ending (x,y) point.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

2. What are coordinates in a vector?

Coordinates in a vector refer to the numerical values that represent the position or location of the vector in a specific coordinate system. In the case of "Vector XY: Possible Coordinates for X & Y", X and Y represent the coordinates for the vector.

3. How do I find the coordinates of a vector?

The coordinates of a vector can be found by breaking down the vector into its components and identifying the corresponding values for each component. For example, in "Vector XY: Possible Coordinates for X & Y", the X coordinate may represent the horizontal component of the vector and the Y coordinate may represent the vertical component.

4. What are possible coordinates for a vector?

The possible coordinates for a vector can vary depending on the specific vector and coordinate system being used. In general, any numerical value can be a possible coordinate for a vector, as long as it accurately represents the magnitude and direction of the vector.

5. How do I use vector coordinates in scientific research?

Vector coordinates are commonly used in scientific research to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. By accurately identifying and analyzing the coordinates of a vector, scientists can make precise calculations and predictions about the behavior of physical systems.