Determine whether the linear transformation T is one-to-one

In summary, To determine whether the linear transformation T is one-to-one, we must show that the kernel is 0. This means that T(a+bX+cX^2)=0 if and only if a=b=c=0. However, since the problem given has a different form than what you have done before, you may be struggling. But, there is an easier way to solve this problem using the definition of T. Even though your teacher may not have given practical examples, proofs themselves can be considered practical examples in math courses.
hannahlu92
Determine whether the linear transformation T is one-to-one

a) T:P2 --> P3, where T(a+a1x+a2x^2)=x(a+a1x+a2x^2)

b) T:P2 --> P2, where T(p(x))=p(x+1)

I'm having difficulty because my teacher never showed examples like this one.
Please help me on the procedure and solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hannahlu92! :smile:

Showing that an operator T is one-to-one is equivalent to showing that the kernel is 0. So, what you must show is that

[tex]T(a+bX+cX)=0[/tex]

then a=b=c=0. Can you do that??

hannahlu92 said:
I'm having difficulty because my teacher never showed examples like this one.
Please help me on the procedure and solution.
So what if the problem looks different? Why can't you solve the problem the way you would normally do?

(Actually, it's probably easier to solve these problems than others you have faced, since there are easier ways than using your knowledge of linear algebra)

I don't know how to because I haven't done one before. My teacher writes definitions on the board and proofs, but no practical examples, so nothing is cementing in my brain.

hannahlu92 said:
I don't know how to because I haven't done one before. My teacher writes definitions on the board and proofs, but no practical examples, so nothing is cementing in my brain.

Certainly you don't need any practical examples to figure out when

[tex]T(a+bX+cX^2)=0[/tex]

Just use the definition of T...

hannahlu92 said:

In this case, proofs themselves are practical examples. That's the point of math courses.

1. What does it mean for a linear transformation to be one-to-one?

A linear transformation T from vector space V to vector space W is said to be one-to-one if every element in W is mapped to by at most one element in V. This means that no two distinct elements in V are mapped to the same element in W.

2. How can I determine if a linear transformation is one-to-one?

To determine if a linear transformation T is one-to-one, you can use the following criteria:

• If T is a matrix transformation, check if the reduced row echelon form of the matrix has a pivot in every column.
  • If T is a transformation defined by a formula, solve the equation T(x) = 0. If the only solution is x = 0, then T is one-to-one.
  • If T is an invertible transformation, then it is automatically one-to-one.

3. Can a linear transformation be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a linear transformation can be both one-to-one and onto. This type of transformation is called an isomorphism and it means that every element in W is mapped to by exactly one element in V and vice versa.

4. What are the consequences of a linear transformation not being one-to-one?

If a linear transformation T is not one-to-one, it means that some elements in W are not mapped to by any elements in V. This can result in information loss and make it impossible to retrieve the original input from the output. It also means that T is not invertible.

5. Can a linear transformation be one-to-one but not onto?

Yes, a linear transformation can be one-to-one but not onto. This means that every element in W is mapped to by at most one element in V, but there are elements in W that are not mapped to at all. This type of transformation is called a partial function.