Clifford vector valued 1-form and gravity

In summary, Garret Lisi's paper introduces the concept of spin connection described by a Clifford bivector valued 1-form to explain the gravitational fields. The frame defined by a Clifford vector valued 1-form combines with a multiplet of Higgs scalar fields to give fermions masses. The Einstein-Hilbert action can also be rewritten in terms of these variables, known as the Palatini action. Garrett Lisi is known to show up and answer questions about his paper.
Octonion
I am currently trying to read through Garret Lisi's paper, An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything, and am having trouble understanding what it means for the gravitational fields to be described by a spin connection that is a Clifford bivector valued 1-form \begin{equation} \omega \in so(3,1) = Cl^2(3,1). \end{equation} I understand how the electroweak and strong are described by the special unitary group but I'm not sure what to make of gravity.

Additionally, how exactly does the frame defined by a Clifford vector valued 1-form \begin{equation}e \in Cl^1(3,1)\end{equation} combine with "a multiplet of Higgs scalar fields" in order to give fermions masses.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read Garrett's paper in detail, but I can guess what I think he means here. Typically the spin connection is [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3,1)[/itex]-valued and is written

[tex]\omega^a{}_b[/tex]

where {a,b} are tangent space indices. The metric-compatibility condition requires that the spin connection be [itex]\eta[/itex]-antisymmetric; that is

[tex]\eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b = - \eta_{bc} \omega^c{}_a[/tex]

To get a Clifford-bivector-valued form, just contract with some gamma matrices:

[tex]\eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b \gamma^a \gamma^b = \eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b \gamma^{[a} \gamma^{b]} = \eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b \gamma^{ab}[/tex]

due to antisymmetry. It's the same idea with the frame fields; contract their tangent-space index with a gamma matrix. As for how they describe gravity, one can rewrite the Einstein-Hilbert action in terms of [itex]\{e^a, \omega^a{}_b\}[/itex] as fundamental variables. The result is called the Palatini action.

As for how the frame interacts with the Higgs scalars to give the fermions masses, I can't help you there. However, Garrett Lisi does read this board and tends to show up when people ask about his paper.

1. What is a Clifford vector valued 1-form?

A Clifford vector valued 1-form is a mathematical object used in the study of gravity and other physical phenomena. It combines elements of vector calculus and differential forms to represent quantities such as force, momentum, and energy in a geometrically intuitive way.

2. How is a Clifford vector valued 1-form related to gravity?

A Clifford vector valued 1-form is often used in the study of gravity because it allows for a more geometrically intuitive understanding of the forces and energy involved. It can also be used to describe the curvature of space-time, which is a key concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. What is the significance of the term "Clifford" in Clifford vector valued 1-form?

The term "Clifford" refers to the mathematician William Kingdon Clifford, who first developed the concept of vector calculus. The use of the term in this context is a nod to the fact that Clifford vector valued 1-forms combine elements of vector calculus with differential forms.

4. How is a Clifford vector valued 1-form different from a regular 1-form?

A regular 1-form is a mathematical object that assigns a scalar value to each point in a vector space, while a Clifford vector valued 1-form assigns a vector value to each point. This allows for a more geometrically intuitive representation of physical quantities.

5. Can a Clifford vector valued 1-form be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, Clifford vector valued 1-forms have applications in other areas of physics such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. They provide a powerful mathematical tool for representing physical quantities in a geometrically intuitive way.