Exploring the Relationship Between Ratios of Sides and Areas in Regular Polygons

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polygon
In summary, the conversation discusses a construction in an equilateral triangle and a square where each side is divided in the ratio of 1:2, creating smaller triangles and squares within the original shapes. The conversation explores the relationship between the ratios of the sides and the ratios of the areas of the triangles and squares, conjectures a relationship, and provides methods to prove the conjecture. It also investigates the relationship in other regular polygons.
songoku

Homework Statement

1. In an equilateral triangle ABC, a line segment is drawn from each vertex to a point of the opposite side so that the segment divides the side in the ratio 1:2, creating another triangle DEF.
triangle.jpg

a. What is the ratio of the area of the two equilateral triangles?
b. Check the ratio of the areas for different ratio of side (1:n, pick your own value of n)
c. By analyzing the results above, conjecture a relationship between the ratios of the sides and the ratio of the areas of the triangles
d. Prove this conjecture analytically
e. Does this conjecture hold for non-equilateral triangles? Explain

2. Do a similar construction in a square where each side is divided into the ratio of 1:2.
a. Compare the area of the inner square to the area of the original square
b. How do the areas compare if each side is divided into the ratio 1:n?
c. Prove the conjecture

3. If segments were constructed in a similar manner in other regular polygons, would similar relationship exist? Investigate the relationship in another regular polygon

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already stuck at first question. I guess I use equation:
Area of triangle = 1/2. a . b . sin θ

But I can't find the side of smaller triangle DEF in terms of side of triangle ABC. Please help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can use coordinate geometry to get the coordinates of the points. If you let the side length be a, the two lower points could be (say) (0,0) and (a,0). Find the coordinates of the upper point, then find the points on the sides which divide them into the given ratio. You can find the coordinates of the sides of the inner triangle by calculating the equation of the lines joining the dividing with their opposite vertices.

EDIT: This seems like an IB Math assessment problem to me!

hi songoku! :smile:
songoku said:
… But I can't find the side of smaller triangle DEF in terms of side of triangle ABC.

my inclination would be to use the cosine and sine rules to find the angles, and then the area, of the smallest triangles, and then to find the are of the small equilateral triangle by subtraction

(btw, why do your very small diagrams take up so much space? :redface:)

That seems to be a much more efficient approach!

Pi-Bond said:
EDIT: This seems like an IB Math assessment problem to me!

Yes, it is; and now it is my homework

tiny-tim said:
hi songoku! :smile:

my inclination would be to use the cosine and sine rules to find the angles, and then the area, of the smallest triangles, and then to find the are of the small equilateral triangle by subtraction

hi tiny - tim! :smile:
let line BE meets side AC at Q. I can find the angle AQE but I still can't find the area of AEQ, if it is the smallest triangle you mean. I do not know how to find EQ or AE

(btw, why do your very small diagrams take up so much space? :redface:)
not sure :redface:

angle AEQ = 60° :wink:

tiny-tim said:
angle AEQ = 60° :wink:

I get it. Thanks a lot :smile:

1. What are the segments of a polygon?

The segments of a polygon are the individual lines that make up its sides. They connect the vertices, or corners, of the polygon.

2. How many segments does a polygon have?

The number of segments in a polygon depends on the number of sides it has. A triangle has 3 segments, a quadrilateral has 4 segments, and so on. The formula for determining the number of segments in a polygon is n, where n is the number of sides.

3. Can a polygon have segments of different lengths?

Yes, a polygon can have segments of different lengths. In fact, most polygons have sides of varying lengths, except for special cases such as regular polygons.

4. What is the difference between a segment and a side of a polygon?

A segment and a side of a polygon are often used interchangeably, but technically, a segment is a line that connects two vertices, while a side is the actual length of that segment. In other words, a side is a measurement, while a segment is a geometric object.

5. Can a polygon have curved segments?

No, a polygon by definition is a closed shape with straight sides. Therefore, its segments must also be straight lines. If a shape has curved sides, it is considered a different type of shape, such as a circle or ellipse.