Am I the only one that does this?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary: You round off intermediate answers in your head to 3 instead of 4, even though 4 is the correct answer. You round off intermediate answers in your head to 3 instead of 4, even though 4 is the correct answer.
1MileCrash
When I get an answer in my calculator, I write down all of the decimal places until I get to one that is below 5 because I'm too lazy/indecisive to actually pick a place to round and do it.

I'm talking 6 or 7 places sometimes.

I can't be the only one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, You are some kind of weirdo.:tongue2:
Anything more than two decimals is usually lying.

Concurrence. Weirdo. :biggrin:

Not only do I do that, if the 5 comes too soon (within 5-8 digits), I will continue on to the next 5. No idea why I do this. Intermediate values, oh wow, I save 20 places sometimes...

QuarkCharmer said:
No idea why I do this.
It is merely a quirk, Quark.

I always seek the double 3's.

Anything more than 2 decimals is a no go in my books :P

I take off points for insignificant digits.

There are no insignificant digits in my math. Usually it's pure until the answer pops out in terms of pi. Then I can take the decimal place as far as I like. This isn't physics.

Usually I look for a 0, 1, or 9. Those are my happy number rounding places.

As a rule of the thumb, I usually use as many significant digits as the question has.

If it's the final answer to a question, it should be rounded to whatever number of sig figs is appropriate for the initial input numbers.

If it's an intermediate answer, it should stay in your calculator (that's what your calculator's memory is for) and not be written down at all, unless your question asks you to show that answer also. In that case you should round off the written version appropriately, but use the unrounded version in the calculator for further calculations.

I round [itex]e[/itex] to 3. Is that bad?

Not as bad as rounding it to 4.

Dembadon said:

No joke, my physics professor usually uses 10 for g when working examples.

Dembadon said:

Vanadium 50 said:
Not as bad as rounding it to 4.

Gentlemen! We have a winnar!

Vanadium 50 said:
As an engineer, I have too many assumed values in my calcs for sig figs to matter.

Vanadium 50 said:

And this is basically how I stopped the habit in my undergrad

jtbell said:
If it's the final answer to a question, it should be rounded to whatever number of sig figs is appropriate for the initial input numbers.

See, my problems are exact. It's not until the final calculation that things get decimal-ized.

I don't do it for final answers, because then its just wrong, its assuming a known value for values that aren't known (or equivalently, assuming that all decimal places after the given measurement are zeros)

You will find it surprising how many students at the college level don't know the reasoning behind significant figures and think that more decimal places means a more accurate answer.

1.3 meters is not 1.30 meters, it means we stopped measuring after a tenth of a meter.

I never learned that concept in school when I learned about significant figures. It only came to me when actually doing lab work.

1MileCrash said:
1.3 meters is not 1.30 meters, it means we stopped measuring after a tenth of a meter.

I never learned that concept in school when I learned about significant figures. It only came to me when actually doing lab work.

I did learn that. My most confusing times currently are when I get to the end of a probability question and the final move turns out an enormous fraction which practically requires a decimal conversion to be useful comparatively. How far do I take it? As far as I like is my guess. So, that's to a 0, 1, or 9.

1MileCrash said:
I don't do it for final answers, because then its just wrong, its assuming a known value for values that aren't known (or equivalently, assuming that all decimal places after the given measurement are zeros)

You will find it surprising how many students at the college level don't know the reasoning behind significant figures and think that more decimal places means a more accurate answer.

A corollary to that observation: some people think a reading is more accurate if the instrument display is digital :biggrin:.

However, seeing hundreds of cases where the average of 30 integers between 0 -10 are cut to one digit, maybe we are loosing a wee bit of information. On the other hand, none of my kids has 2,184736 children. It's not doable. :tongue:

ArcanaNoir said:
See, my problems are exact. It's not until the final calculation that things get decimal-ized.

Wait, wait. Let's get our terminology correct, here. Murdering a perfectly good symbol is decimation. :biggrin:

1. What does it mean to be the only one that does something?

Being the only one that does something means that you are the only person who engages in a certain behavior or action, or has a particular thought or feeling. It is a way of expressing uniqueness or individuality.

2. Is it normal to feel like I am the only one that does something?

Yes, it is normal to feel like you are the only one that does something. It is common for people to feel like they are different or alone in their experiences, even though there may be others who also engage in the same behavior or thought process.

3. Why do I feel the need to ask if I am the only one that does something?

Asking if you are the only one that does something may stem from a desire for validation or reassurance. It can also be a way to connect with others and see if anyone else shares a similar experience.

4. Are there benefits to being the only one that does something?

There can be benefits to being the only one that does something. It can make you feel unique and special, and can also lead to personal growth and self-discovery. It can also inspire others and pave the way for new ideas and perspectives.

5. How can I cope with feeling like I am the only one that does something?

If feeling like you are the only one that does something is causing distress, it may be helpful to reach out to others, whether it be friends, family, or a therapist. Talking about your experiences can provide support and perspective. It may also be helpful to focus on the positive aspects of being unique and try to find ways to connect with others who share similar experiences.