Pressure of a gas in atmospheres at different temperatures

In summary, at temperatures below 273°C, the atmospheric pressure is 0.50 atm. Above 273°C, the atmospheric pressure increases to 1.00 atm.
anty
A chemist measured the pressure of a gas in atmospheres at different temperatures in
°C:
Temp (°C) -136 -25 0 25 100 273
Pressure (atm) 0.50 0.91 1.00 1.09 1.37 2.00
Can you predict the temperature at which the pressure would equal zero?

Science news on Phys.org
Its a complicated question, because the relationship between temperature and pressure in the atmosphere is not linear at all. The atmosphere has several different 'sections' as you go higher up, so the behaviour changes.

ok Bruce, but in your opinion, what would your prediction be and please explain how u got to ur answer.
this prob was actually posted to me by a webhosting company, i applied there for a job. so i really need to nail this.

never took physics, guess the physics gods are taking revenge now :-(

I don't think the question has anything to do with the atmosphere (which would certainly complicate things) but just that it measures the gas pressure in atmospheres.

My suggestion: Change to an absolute scale of temperature (°K instead of °C) and draw a plot of pressure vs temperature.

You lost me. I understand plotting, but Id still have to come up with the the temperature at which the pressure would equal zero..

Did you do what I suggested?

OH! Ah, I see you were only mentioning 'atmospheres' as a measure of the pressure. Sorry, I totally misunderstood you.

Honestly, I don't know how. Never took physics.

Doc Al has the right idea. You should plot temperature on one axis and pressure on the other, then see what you get. From this you might be able to infer the temperature at which pressure is zero.

If you do nothing else, just make a plot of pressure versus temperature and see what it looks like.

(You don't even really need to change the temperature scale, since they are proportional.)

What is the equation for calculating the pressure of a gas in atmospheres at different temperatures?

The equation for calculating the pressure of a gas in atmospheres at different temperatures is P = nRT/V, where P is the pressure in atmospheres, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume in liters.

How does temperature affect the pressure of a gas in atmospheres?

According to Charles's Law, the pressure of a gas in atmospheres is directly proportional to its temperature in Kelvin. This means that as the temperature increases, the pressure of the gas will also increase, and vice versa.

What is the standard temperature and pressure (STP) for gases?

The standard temperature and pressure for gases is defined as a temperature of 273.15 K (0 degrees Celsius) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (atm). This is commonly used in calculations and experiments involving gases.

What is the relationship between the pressure of a gas and its volume?

According to Boyle's Law, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, its pressure will increase, and vice versa, as long as the temperature remains constant.

How do you convert between different temperature scales when calculating the pressure of a gas in atmospheres?

To convert between different temperature scales, you can use the following formulas:
- Fahrenheit to Celsius: C = (F-32) x 5/9
- Celsius to Kelvin: K = C + 273.15
- Fahrenheit to Kelvin: K = (F-32) x 5/9 + 273.15
Once you have converted the temperature to Kelvin, you can use the ideal gas law to calculate the pressure in atmospheres.