Is it wrong for people to have more than one partner?

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, people believe that it is wrong because it is against our society's morals. There is a benefit to only doing this with one person, because it would prevent the "overflooding" of a person's gene.

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • If it is allowed by a particular culture

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Tom McCurdy
I mean is it our society that seems to have the stigma that one person should have one partner, or is it nature? Is it wrong for example for a guy to have five girlfriends at once if he does not lie to them? Would marrying in this instance (polygamy) be acceptable in any case? Also not only with one guy with multiple girls but also one girl with multiple guys or just one person witn any other number of people (allowing for gay/lesbian relationships)

Physics news on Phys.org
It would only be wrong if we were not meant to. I'd say if all parties agree, then it would be ok. I guess this presupposes that the function of romantic relationships is to join with another person in order to create something new through experience and sharing. Then I would ask, is there a benefit to only doing this with one person versus many? Does it seem wrong because we wouldn't be able to do this completely with several people or because we wouldn't feel as special? And is this actually valid?

If they are all informed, consenting adults, I can't see why there would be anything "wrong".

Then why does our society feel so strongly against polygamy? (our being US)

Tom McCurdy said:
Then why does our society feel so strongly against polygamy? (our being US)
Because the moral code in US is wrong in this respect.

Do you feel that people then should be allowed to marry more than one partner? I guess trying to view other side argument, that they are preventing it because...

a. The United States is largly Christian, and people just won't accept it anyway.
b. Often in the cases of polygamy it is in some cult instance involving brainwashing, so rather than deal with that this is a way to skirt the issue.
c. Bill Gates can't have 3 million wives, there will be none left for anyone else :)

What has marriage got to do with this?
If we're talking about cherished ceremonies in some private community of like-minded individuals, they should, IMO, feel free to celebrate what they think constitutes a proper living.

Secondly, if we think of marriage as a judicial contract which more or less confer some privileges (for example, automatic inheritance right) to those involved (as long as some minimal requirements are fulfilled), then I don't see why such juridically binding contracts should be reserved for some particular life-styles, in the sense that others should be able to enter such contracts as well.

However, this does not mean that (for some reason) childless couples/quadruples should benefit from tax relief particulaly aimed for those who DO raise children.

Umm... it's wrong because it leads to the overflooding of a single person's gene? Or it is just because we humans define it as wrong, and therefore it is WRONG? :biggrin:

Akihiro said:
Or it is just because we humans define it as wrong, and therefore it is WRONG? :biggrin:
So just because the Nazis judged Jews to be scum, therefore Jews ARE scum?

arildno said:
So just because the Nazis judged Jews to be scum, therefore Jews ARE scum?
I believe he was just being sacrastic there arildno

It would see that he agrees that it should be alright, then again I could be ... Wrong

I guess it would be OK if all parties are OK with it, which I've never seen happen except for casual relatinships.

So-crates... who do infer by all parties?
do you mean the people in the relationship and the society around them?

What happens if its alright with the people in the relationship but not alright with the people around him, kind of like a common situation with gay/lesbian couples. Although it would be shunned upon even more.

What's being "shunned upon?" :rofl:
Is that like being thrown up on? Ok ok, carry on. :wink: :approve:

And again, is there a benefit to only doing this with one person versus many? Does it seem wrong because we wouldn't be able to do this completely with several people or because we wouldn't feel as special? And is this actually valid? I think this is being touched on.

so-crates said:
I guess it would be OK if all parties are OK with it, which I've never seen happen except for casual relatinships.

So why only in casual relationships?

Tom McCurdy said:
c. Bill Gates can't have 3 million wives, there will be none left for anyone else :)

Uhhmm, maybe Bill Gates can have 3 million ...men...
When he opens his 'gates'?! :yuck:
If he can put an 'apple' in his ass...why not 3 million men...

pansessualismo said:
Uhhmm, maybe Bill Gates can have 3 million ...men...
When he opens his 'gates'?! :yuck:
If he can put an 'apple' in his ass...why not 3 million men...

What are you talking about...

anyway... so I guess the general opinion is that it is alright as long as everyone is aware and people aren't taking advantage of a system.

0TheSwerve0 said:
And again, is there a benefit to only doing this with one person versus many? Does it seem wrong because we wouldn't be able to do this completely with several people or because we wouldn't feel as special? And is this actually valid? I think this is being touched on.

So why only in casual relationships?

I think we have an innate biological jealousy with our partners. Mammals are different from other species in that we have fewer children, and put comparatively more effort into to raising them to survive. For men, we want to be sure that the children we are raising come from our own gene pool and not some random jerkoff. Women want their men to be devoted to their own offspring and not someone else. Of course this is just speculation, and their are exceptions. One exception is with women who into "players" who do their business and move on. If sexual behavior is an inherited trait, then here offspring would also be similarly aggressive in seeking out multiple partners.

Well that's what the naturalist in me says. The humanist in me says that there's really no rule that says that a polygamous relationship couldn't work. I have thought about it myself that I wouldn't mind being in a polygamous relationship or even a polyandrous relationship if my partner was an exceptional "alpha" female.

You should research societies in which formal polygamy is allowed, both polygymous and polyandrous, and look at the role of men and women in the arrangements. I believe there is a certain culture from Tibet where fraternal polyandry is accepted, mainly for economic reasons since the agricultural work is so difficult. I seem to recall from a high school anthropology class is that their is usually tremendous amount ot tension and jealousy in polygynous marriages even when it is culturally accepted. The wife accepts it grudgingly.

So if we remove the jealousy and have many partners, we lose nothing and gain much? Is there nothing lost when we do that? I mean in terms of loving (unless we've disowned love as just brainchemistry and only important so far as it helps our survival), are we capable of having a truly committed and full relationship with multiple people?

How can you have a "full" relationship with multiple people. If you have more than one partner, there is obviously some inequality as you will have to prioritize your resources among them. You inevitably have to decide one is more important than the other.

So then it isn't wrong, it's just not a good choice for love.

Like, I suggested before, you might want to look up contemporary and historical examples of polygamy if you want to gain a little bit more insight. I believe the book we read for that anthro class was called "Nisa". And keep in mind I am differentiationg between merely having multiple partners vs. formal societal acceptance of such an arrangement. If you want something more in tune with with U.S. culture you might want to research those communes they had in the 60s-70s and certain Mormon cultures.

If study isn't enough for you, well, a wise man once said:
"No one can be taught anything, the experience is everything" :-)

What is polyamory and how is it different from cheating?

Polyamory is the practice of having more than one intimate relationship at the same time with the consent of all involved parties. In contrast, cheating involves being unfaithful to one's partner without their knowledge or consent.

What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of having multiple partners?

The potential benefits of having multiple partners include increased emotional support, variety in sexual experiences, and the ability to explore different aspects of one's identity. However, the drawbacks can include jealousy, time management challenges, and navigating complex emotional dynamics.

Is polyamory a valid relationship choice or is it unethical?

Polyamory can be a valid and ethical relationship choice as long as all parties involved are fully consenting and honest about their intentions and boundaries. It is important to prioritize open communication and respect for all partners involved.

Can people truly love more than one person at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for people to have romantic or loving feelings for more than one person at the same time. This is known as polyamory, and it is a valid and legitimate way of experiencing and expressing love.

How can polyamorous relationships be successful and healthy?

Successful and healthy polyamorous relationships require open and honest communication, respect for all partners' boundaries and needs, and a willingness to work through challenges and conflicts. It is also important to regularly check in with all parties and address any issues that may arise.