Can you get redox potential from dissolved oxygen in water?

In summary, redox potential is a measure of a substance's ability to donate or accept electrons and is also known as oxidation-reduction potential or ORP. It is related to dissolved oxygen in water, with a higher concentration leading to a more positive redox potential and a lower concentration resulting in a more negative redox potential. However, other factors such as pH, temperature, and the presence of other chemicals can also affect redox potential. Redox potential is typically measured using a redox electrode inserted into the water and has various applications in environmental monitoring, water treatment, and industrial processes.
ella_brodie
Hi there,

I am trying to get the Eh (or pe) of water samples which I took last summer. I didn't measure it directly at the time. I do have dissolved oxygen values from each site. Is there a way to convert dO2 into Eh? All the dO2 values were in the 80-100% range.

Alternatively, is there a way to convert dO2 into oxygen fugacity?

I am hoping to make phase diagrams for the speciation of dissolved metals in a river.

Thanks!

Ella

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sounds like you should use Nernst equation.

1. What is redox potential?

Redox potential is a measure of the tendency of a chemical reaction to occur and is often used to indicate the ability of a substance to donate or accept electrons. It is also known as oxidation-reduction potential or ORP.

2. How is redox potential related to dissolved oxygen in water?

Dissolved oxygen in water is a key indicator of the redox potential of a solution. As the concentration of dissolved oxygen increases, the redox potential becomes more positive, indicating a greater ability for oxidation reactions to occur. On the other hand, a decrease in dissolved oxygen leads to a more negative redox potential, indicating a greater potential for reduction reactions to occur.

3. Can dissolved oxygen alone be used to determine redox potential?

No, dissolved oxygen is only one factor that affects redox potential. Other factors such as pH, temperature, and the presence of other chemicals can also influence the redox potential of a solution. Therefore, dissolved oxygen cannot be used as the sole indicator of redox potential.

4. How is redox potential measured in water?

Redox potential is typically measured using an electrode, known as a redox electrode or ORP electrode, which is inserted into the water. The electrode generates a voltage signal that is directly proportional to the redox potential of the solution. This signal can then be measured using a voltmeter.

5. What are the applications of measuring redox potential in water?

The measurement of redox potential in water is important in various fields, such as environmental monitoring, water treatment, and industrial processes. It can help determine the quality of water, identify potential sources of contamination, and optimize treatment processes. Additionally, redox potential can also be used to assess the effectiveness of chemical reactions and the stability of certain products in water.