Define z as a function of x and y

• Thread starter MeMoses
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is discussing the equations x=uv, y=u+v, and z=u^2-v^2 which define z as a function of x and y. The speaker is asking for help in finding \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} using the chain rule. The solution involves solving for u and v, substituting them into the equations, and then using the resulting quadratic equation to find \partial u/\partial x. There is some confusion about the role of z in the problem.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

The equations x=uv, y=u+v and z=u^2-v^2 define z as a function of x and y. Find [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I get z as a function of x and y the solution seems pretty straight forward, but how exactly is that done. Would it be along the lines of z(x(u,v),y(u,v))? That doesn't seem right though. Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean to say you're trying to find [itex]\partial u/\partial x[/itex] and not [itex]\partial z/\partial x[/itex]?

No, I meant what I stated. I realized you solve for u and v and then plug into z=u^2-v^2. You get u=x/v and substitute that into y=u+v and then multiply both sides by v to get a quadratic equation. You do that for both u and v and plug them into z and its smooth sailing from there

Frankly, I don't see why z has anything to do with the problem then.

1. What is the definition of z as a function of x and y?

Z as a function of x and y is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between the variables x and y, where the output value z is dependent on the input values of x and y.

2. How do you define z as a function of x and y?

To define z as a function of x and y, you need to express the relationship between the variables using mathematical notation, typically in the form of an equation or formula. This equation will determine the value of z based on the values of x and y.

3. What is the purpose of defining z as a function of x and y?

The purpose of defining z as a function of x and y is to understand the relationship between the two variables and be able to calculate the value of z for any given values of x and y. This can be useful in solving problems and making predictions in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics.

4. Can z be defined as a function of x and y in multiple ways?

Yes, z can be defined as a function of x and y in multiple ways. The specific form of the function will depend on the nature of the relationship between x and y, and the purpose for which z is being defined. For example, z may be defined as a linear function, a polynomial function, or an exponential function.

5. What are the independent and dependent variables in the function z(x,y)?

In the function z(x,y), x and y are the independent variables, while z is the dependent variable. This means that the values of x and y can be chosen arbitrarily, but the value of z will be determined by the chosen values of x and y through the given function.