Doubt regarding definition of magnetic susceptibility

In summary: According to the definitions provided by the Wikipedia articles, it seems that H is more important than I. This is supported by the mathematical definition, which states that H is the number of ampere turns flowing round unit length of a toroidal solenoid to produce the magnetic induction B. In contrast, the definition provided by the textbook states that I is the degree to which a magnetic field can magnetise a material. It seems that the definition provided by the textbook is more accurate.
hale2bopp
Intensity of magnetisation(I) is defined as the magnetic moment per unit volume of the material. It represents the extent to which a specimen is magnetised.

I=M/V

Magnetising force or magnetising intensity(H) is defined as the number of ampere turns flowing round unit length of toroidal solenoid to produce the magnetic induction B, in the solenoid.
It represents the degree to which a magnetic field can magnetise a material.

H=nI

Magnetic susceptibility (Xm) of materials is defined as the ratio of intensity of magnetsiation of that material to the magnetising intensity of the magnetic field.
It represents the ease with which a specimen can be magnetised.

Xm=I/H

My question is, according to the definitions and what they represent, of I and H, if I and H are large, doesn't it mean that the extent to which the specimen is magnetised , and the degree to which a magnetic field can magnetise the specimen, are more? In that case, that would make magnetic susceptibility more since the specimen can be more easily magnetised. Then how come according to the formula, is H is more, Xm is less? Is there something missing in the definition, or something wrong in my understanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
In that case, that would make magnetic susceptibility more since the specimen can be more easily magnetised.

I don't think this statement is accurate: [What is your source? ]

It represents the degree to which a magnetic field can magnetise a material.

These definitions and what they represent, were copied out of my school textbook. It seems to me, that the definitions and what they represent, are contradicting the mathematical definition. So is what they have written as 'what the quantities represent', wrong?

I can understand your confusion about the definition of magnetic susceptibility and its relationship to intensity of magnetization (I) and magnetizing force (H). However, there are a few key points to consider in order to better understand this concept.

First, it's important to note that the intensity of magnetization (I) and the magnetizing force (H) are not independent variables. They are related through the equation I=M/V, where M is the magnetic moment and V is the volume of the material. This means that as the magnetizing force increases, the intensity of magnetization also increases, but at a slower rate. This is because as the magnetic field gets stronger, it becomes more difficult to magnetize the material further.

Next, the magnetic susceptibility (Xm) is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. This means that as the intensity of magnetization (I) increases, the magnetic susceptibility (Xm) decreases. This is because as the material becomes more magnetized, it becomes harder to magnetize it further.

In summary, the relationship between I, H, and Xm is not a linear one. As both I and H increase, Xm decreases because it becomes more difficult to magnetize the material further. Therefore, there is nothing missing in the definition or wrong in your understanding. It's simply a matter of understanding the relationship between these variables and how they affect each other. I hope this helps clarify your doubts regarding the definition of magnetic susceptibility.

1. What is magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field. It is a dimensionless quantity and is represented by the symbol χ.

2. How is magnetic susceptibility different from magnetization?

Magnetic susceptibility measures the response of a material to a magnetic field, while magnetization is the measure of the total magnetic moment per unit volume of a material. In other words, susceptibility is a property of the material, while magnetization is a result of the interaction between the material and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect magnetic susceptibility?

The magnetic susceptibility of a material can be affected by its composition, crystal structure, temperature, and the strength of the applied magnetic field. In general, materials with unpaired electrons and a high degree of magnetization tend to have a higher magnetic susceptibility.

4. Why is magnetic susceptibility important in materials science?

Magnetic susceptibility is an important property in materials science because it can provide insight into the magnetic behavior of materials. It can also be used to determine the composition and purity of materials, as well as their magnetic properties. Additionally, magnetic susceptibility is a key factor in the design and development of magnetic materials for various applications.

5. How is magnetic susceptibility measured?

Magnetic susceptibility is typically measured using a device called a susceptometer, which applies a known magnetic field to a sample and measures its resulting magnetization. The ratio of magnetization to the applied magnetic field gives the magnetic susceptibility of the material. Other techniques, such as vibrating sample magnetometry and superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) magnetometry, can also be used to measure magnetic susceptibility.