Is the Universe Losing Energy and Heading Towards an Unfortunate End?

• Thread starter Algren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a universe existing before the big bang and the possibility of an infinite cycle of universes. The discussion also touched on the scientific method and the lack of evidence for multiple universes currently. The idea of a "Bubble Theory" was also mentioned, but without sufficient data to support it. Overall, the conversation emphasized the importance of gathering data and using the scientific method to understand the mysteries of the universe.
cephron said:
Was he referring not to black holes but something else entirely?

No ceph it was black holes precisely. It amounts to a paradox, something in which I feel Hawking revels, and is centered around the problem that all the conservation laws are broken whenever a BH "eats" matter and it aparently either reorders it in such a manner that we cannot detect it, something that doesn't meet the math or it puts it somewhere else. The question: Where do that matter go? Same for the energy and information swallowed. If it is all imperishable and cannot leave existence, where is it?

I Dinna Kin,
RD

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, I'm certainly no expert, but my understanding is that all of this matter, energy and information is radiated back out in the form of Hawking radiation as the black hole evaporates.

cephron said:
Well, I'm certainly no expert, but my understanding is that all of this matter, energy and information is radiated back out in the form of Hawking radiation as the black hole evaporates.

I think the problem is that Hawking radiation takes care of the matter/energy but does NOT take care of the information.

Well, the article to which I posted a link (4 posts up from this one) seems to say that Hawking thinks the information is preserved. So, if we're working under the premise that "if Hawking is right", then that would suggest that absolutely nothing from our univere is lost in black holes. Of course, that article is almost a decade old now, I don't know about any more recent developments than that...

reggnar said:
So youre going to judge me by my age ?

You judged yourself by your age... Repeatedly & redundantly. We get it, you're under the impression that you don't know anything. So therefore it is a waste of our time for you to tell us things. Stick to asking questions if you're going to be insistent on your ignorance.

Also you guys are referring to the information paradox, no? I thought Hawking conceded defeat to Susskind eventually.

Didn't they show this idea was mathematically inconsistent recently?

I'll have to do some research on the more populist aspects of the debate. I think we're all aware of the friendly intellectual battle that raged between Drs. Hawking and Susskind although I didn't know that it included the quantum constituents of "Hawking Radiation".

Since Feynman is not available settle the matter, and the question is highly hypothetical, I am somewhat loath to ameliorate my previous position absent some good math or hard data.RD

<h2>1. Is the universe really losing energy?</h2><p>Yes, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the total energy in a closed system such as the universe will eventually decrease over time.</p><h2>2. How is the universe losing energy?</h2><p>The universe is losing energy through various processes such as the expansion of space, particle interactions, and radiation emitted by stars and other celestial bodies.</p><h2>3. Is there a limit to how much energy the universe can lose?</h2><p>There is currently no known limit to the amount of energy the universe can lose. However, some theories suggest that the universe may reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done.</p><h2>4. Will the universe eventually run out of energy?</h2><p>It is possible that the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. However, this is a long-term process and it is difficult to predict how long it will take.</p><h2>5. What is the "unfortunate end" that the universe is heading towards?</h2><p>The "unfortunate end" refers to the eventual heat death of the universe, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. This would result in a state of maximum entropy and the end of all life and activity in the universe.</p>

1. Is the universe really losing energy?

Yes, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the total energy in a closed system such as the universe will eventually decrease over time.

2. How is the universe losing energy?

The universe is losing energy through various processes such as the expansion of space, particle interactions, and radiation emitted by stars and other celestial bodies.

3. Is there a limit to how much energy the universe can lose?

There is currently no known limit to the amount of energy the universe can lose. However, some theories suggest that the universe may reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done.

4. Will the universe eventually run out of energy?

It is possible that the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. However, this is a long-term process and it is difficult to predict how long it will take.

5. What is the "unfortunate end" that the universe is heading towards?

The "unfortunate end" refers to the eventual heat death of the universe, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. This would result in a state of maximum entropy and the end of all life and activity in the universe.