Best Classical Mechanics textbook for undergrad level

In summary, for Classical Mechanics at the undergraduate level, some recommended textbooks are "Analytical Mechanics" by Fowles & Cassiday, "Classical Mechanics" by John Taylor (specifically the 1st or 2nd editions), and "Classical Dynamics" by Marion (preferably the 1st or 2nd editions). Advanced options include "Classical Mechanics" by Landau and Lifgarbagez or "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein. Other suggestions include "Classical Mechanics" by R.D. Gregory, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Mechanics: Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics" by Greiner.
timothyc
What would be your go-to textbook for Classical Mechanics at the undergraduate level?
It must also cover the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation.

My school uses "Analytical Mechanics" by Fowles & Cassiday but I find it not very complete and doesn't cover all topics. I've also read parts of "Classical Mechanics" by John Taylor and find the explanations to be very good but the book is way too verbose.

What texts would you recommend for Classical Mechanics?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I learned from the 1st edition of Marion, Classical Dynamics, and liked it. Seems a lot of people don't like the changes that new author Thornton introduced starting in the 3rd edition, so you might try getting a hold of the 1st or 2nd editions.

Landau and Lifgarbagez is advanced, but has a beautiful approach to teaching the topic. You might follow along there, or wait until you've completed your course and then read L&L for a different perspective.

marcusl said:
I learned from the 1st edition of Marion, Classical Dynamics, and liked it. Seems a lot of people don't like the changes that new author Thornton introduced starting in the 3rd edition, so you might try getting a hold of the 1st or 2nd editions.

Landau and Lifgarbagez is advanced, but has a beautiful approach to teaching the topic. You might follow along there, or wait until you've completed your course and then read L&L for a different perspective.

Thanks, I'll check out the second edition of Marion first. Perhaps Landau and Lifgarbagez can wait.

Over 200 views and only one reply, can't say how much I appreciate your help.

Over 200 views and only one reply, can't say how much I appreciate your help.

I think a big chunk of that is search bots, but I'm not sure.

Likes yeshuamo
Landau and Lifgarbagez or Goldstein all the way!

Likes Pawan kumar0212
If slightly different notation is not a problem for you (it´s a big one for some students), try Greiner's Classical mechanics: systems of particles and hamiltonian dynamics. The way Greriner explains worked out problems is a big plus in my opinion.

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that affect them. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation as described by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

Why is it important to have a good textbook for classical mechanics at the undergraduate level?

A good textbook is essential for understanding the fundamental principles and concepts of classical mechanics. It provides a structured and comprehensive approach to learning the subject, which is necessary for building a strong foundation for further studies in physics and related fields.

What makes a textbook the best for learning classical mechanics at the undergraduate level?

A good textbook for classical mechanics at the undergraduate level should have clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems that help students understand and apply the concepts. It should also cover all the essential topics and be written in a language that is easy to understand.

What are some recommended textbooks for learning classical mechanics at the undergraduate level?

Some popular and highly recommended textbooks for learning classical mechanics at the undergraduate level include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein. These books are known for their clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

Can I learn classical mechanics without a textbook?

While having a good textbook is highly recommended for learning classical mechanics, it is possible to learn the subject without one. However, it may be challenging to grasp the concepts and principles without the guidance and structure provided by a textbook. It is also important to supplement your learning with other resources, such as lectures, online tutorials, and practice problems.